Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
wwbragg

Sickle bar skid plate (shoe assembly)

wwbragg

Who ever put this this thing together last time took so may short cuts and used incorrect or missing parts that now the shoe assembly comes into question.  I have repaired or replaced worn and  missing or incorrect parts (Thanks to rocon2813) but the shoe assembly does not look like the one in the parts list.  Maybe this is a newer edition or maybe it is from a different manufacturer.  Can anybody tell me if it is a correct part?  Notice the apparently reversible mounting plate.  I think it will work, but if the actuating arm is hitting on the mounting bracket that could be contributing to the violent shaking.  So is  this a proper part?  If not, does anybody have one they can part with?  Thanks.

Wendell

20170930_120906.jpg

acken

I don't believe they had a ridge like one in picture, and I think the sides curled up more.  I would have to look at mine to be sure.  I also have an extra if Josh doesn't. 

• Like 1

bkassulke

Compared to the one I have mounted in the shop on the b212 that is a  cable lift, it isn't correct. It looks like to me that someone took another skid plate cut a chunk off and welded it to it. to get the extra ridge and a wider skid. Mine is all chewed up on the inside but is most definitely not that wide. If you cut off the ridge section it would look like mine.

• Like 1

wwbragg

Yeah, I have an incorrect part.  On the right is the one I received from gwiseman (thank you Gene).  (So the one on the right is the "right" part and the one on the left is not.  It looks like someone welded two parts together and then added the extra side rib. Pretty good welding, though - - - looks like a factory job.

While we are at it, here are some other incorrect parts.  The hold down clip that should go under the lever assy and holds it up was just plain missing.  The shaped washer (on the right) that goes on the cutter arm shaft was replaced by some kind of convex spacer.  Luckily, rockon2813 had one in his parts bin.  Thanks, Dan.  I found the correct plow bolt at Fastenal.  I hope that's all.  Monday it goes back together.

2017-10-08 00.58.59.jpg

20170929_173037 (1).jpg

Edited by wwbragg
  • Like 1

gwiseman
16 minutes ago, dhoadley said:

I would think you might be able to grind away at the old parts and have 2 spare skid plates.

Hmm, thats exactly what it looks like. Far more skid surface and looks like it would raise the heel of the sickle. Would be interesting to know why that modification was made.