Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

matt

712h

matt

Just bought a 712h its a 1976. Everything is there.... been a while since she has run but things seem tight can turn the motor by hand seems to have compression bevel gear box seems tight... not sure what specs are but I bought a parts catalog and service manual off eBay should be here in a week or so, any advice or pitfalls you guys can help with will be great as I don't really have a ton of experience, half way decent understanding of auto mechanics but not much with tractors but its a very cool piece of equipment and I think I can bring her back.

matt

Yup I'm not real knowledgeable, but these Allis Chalmers are pretty cool, besides john Deere is like a Camaro, everybody has one, but these acs are different I like them. Should be fun figuring them out, and I know I can get it to do work lol mainly snow blowing

• Like 1

MikeES

Matt for a newcomer you are talking like you are very knowledgeable about these tractors

7 hours ago, matt said:

bevel gear box seems tight

Welcome, you will find these tractors are quite "Simple" and I don't mean crude or cheap but that they are very well engineered that is built in and not bolted on.

matt

Lol yeah mike but I did some research on that.... lol I know enough to be dangerous but I'm getting it figured out... the transmission has a couple valves on top of it with a piece that seems to slide up and down to contact the valves. Haven't quite figured out what I'm lookin at there... any thoughts?

Gary

If you push the piece down, to push down the pins on top of the valves, it lets the hydro fluid free flow through the valves, so you are able to push the tractor forward or backward, without doing damage to the transmission.

matt

Well they may be stuck in the up position I have been spraying them but felt like I shouldn't do a whole lot of tapping on them... is there any trick to freeing them or is a deal I will have to take apart? Kinda nervous about that but if I have to I have to ... thanks for chiming in I appreciate it a bunch