Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

4040 hood paint

Sandy
What's the problem with shipping again? I know you had issue with that before, but can't remember what it was. No matter what color you paint it you're still a lucky dog. I'd go with the gloss white for the time being.

Sandy
MPH, If I haven't told you already, you are one lucky .... Now, your hood color. I think if you do a search you'll probably find the correct answer. I remember Paul saying he used white and knew it wasn't "right" but it looked OK to him. I believe what you neeed is not something normally obtainable in a spray can. It's just off whatever is available. I bought a couple cans from the dealer and they were a perfect match on a Sovereign. I don't know as they are available any more though. I've got one can left and I'm going to paint a test panel and bring it to my auto paint supply store to have a quart or gallon mixed. The stuff from the dealer was $12 a can (spray). It can be mixed up from formulas that have been posted here before by Herb. Anyway, a spray can color that is about the closest would be not quite as dark as antique white and not as bright as gloss. That leaves ivory which isn't quite right and what else??? I've tried 'em all and wasn't satisfied with anything until I got the stuff at the dealers. See if there is any more available. I can get a number off the can if need be. I just bought some Ace AC Orange, "Rust Stop" paint today in a large (15 oz.) spray can for $3.89. I think that will be the closest for the touch up on my Sovereign and it will be the same for you too on the 4040 (I think). I've tried Ace's "Ace Orange" in a smaller spray can and it was close but a little too light. I've got way to much experience in trying to find just the right color in a spray can. All I can think of with your hood scoop discoloration is that lots of air is probably whisked by there and helped oxidize it faster.???

MPH
Had to have the hinge bracket welded on my hood and straighten the other one with heat as it had about a 5 degree twist in it. What color of squirt can do I look for. Took off the hood scoop and realized the white look wasn't oxidied, sure isn't almaond or gray?????Why would the hood scoop be the only part of it that is rust pitied, thinner metal??Thanks... MPH

MPH
Sandy, I looked through 4 pages of 4040 and 4041 last nite before I asked and din't find anything on paint, yet I recall reading Pauls post about white, guess I should have looked under 9020's also..My nearest dealer I believe is Washington and local is white or Almond, maybe I'll paint the bottom black for now just to prevent rust, til I restore the whole thing.. Thanks..MPH