Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax front weights

720nut

I was presented this idea this morning and wondering what others would think ?

Weights are 5 in. x8 in. solid steel round bar stock

. Am wondering if they could be made of light steel tube and filled with concrete

What would be some of your thoughts on doing? Know they wouldn't be original but would allow others that need front weight an option at an affordable price.

I have a pair of small front tires somebody filled with concrete I use as door stops for the shop.  The must weigh 40 or 50 lbs.  Don't know why you couldn't do the same thing here.  Place an old front tire on the ground, put a piece of plywood on the bottom (so the concrete doesn't run out) and fill it up with concrete.  Stick a length of 1" PVC in the middle so you can hang it on something front or rear.  

Another thought would be to make a 5X8 box out of plywood to use as a mold.  Fill it up.  Be sure to provide a way to hang it.

Here are some pictures to show what I mean.  the first one lies flat - - measures about 9" across.  The second one shows stud bolts imbedded in the cement for mounting to what ever.

S0010492.JPG

DSCF0496.JPG

Edited by wwbragg

lloyd i think that would work just fine. use some 5 inch water pipe and weld a cap on one end and the mounting bracket on it then fill with concrete.

9 hours ago, s_stephen said:

lloyd i think that would work just fine. use some 5 inch water pipe and weld a cap on one end and the mounting bracket on it then fill with concrete.

That's what we discussed but 5in. solid weighs 66.760 lbs per foot, which is 44.5 lbs for 8 in. not sure if concrete would be same or not ?

Concrete weighs +/- 145 lbs per cubic foot or 145/1728 = .084 lbs per cubic inch.   The volume of an 8" length of 5" pipe is 3.14*(5"/2)^2*8 = 157 CI.  So the concrete in that pipe would only weigh   157 * .084 = 13 lbs.

My filled wheels are 9” in diameter and I guess 4” wide. So they must weigh only (9/2^2*3.14 * 4 )/1728 * 145 = 21 lbs each.  (They sure seem heavier than that when you use your foot to shove them in front of the big bay door.)

Nice work!  By contrast, a 5” round steel bar weighs 66.92 lbs per foot.  So, the oem weight should weigh roughly 44 1/2 lbs plus the weight of the steel angle brackets.  With pins they are probably nearing 50lbs each.  I have found that weight pretty impactful, when doubled up as they were offered back in the day. 

7A069E2A-73F4-4328-B8F3-C93F9E5DCC4F.jpeg

3 hours ago, tadams said:

Don't know how you are going to mount them but if you put straps around the why not use PVC pipe of 5" or 6" and just put caps on?

Duct tape.  Remember - - - recall the first rule of afterthought: If it doesn't move, but it should, use WD-40.  If it moves but it shouldn't, use duct tape.

+ 1 on the lead shot, ball bearings, BB's rusty nuts and bolts,  Could also fill the tube with scrap flat stock cut offs as long as it fit tightly and minimized any air space