Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is this the future look of Simplicity lawn mowers too?

Alltractoredup

They look like plastic sh*t.  Looks like Briggs is using a Simplicity tractor with different hood for this Snapper model.  wahwah:S

00202_gyFIPcGdlvI_600x450.jpg

01414_2e3nQrhEnCt_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_ii02pW2bz3F_600x450.jpg

Simplicity has used those seats for several years with mostly positive response from what I have heard. They breath so you don't get sweated up. That is from the Snapper "NXT" line and they have been out for maybe 7 to 10 years now? Its similar to the Regent and the regent isn't really anymore plastic now than when they came out in the late '70s with a plastic dash and plastic grille. Still, they are not building Sovereigns anymore and never will again. 

Edited by Chris727
  • Thanks 1

Plastic is less costly to mold and the plastic on the current Simplicity's isn't the thin flimsy stuff of other bargain machines or eras past.  I think it would take some serious beating, with a hell of a blunt object, to bust through the dash on my legacy or the Prestige tractors I have had.  You think a new legacy is expensive already, I can't imagine what it would cost if they had to rule out plastic injection and add more dies and stamping for those two plastic areas of the machine...that's probably a contributor to how the Sovereign died.

I remember how distasteful the 'new' legacy sounded when it came out, because it looked plastic.  In reality, it had plastic pretty much in the same areas as the Sunstar before it. Dash and sides of the fenders.  Technology changes with the times.

• Like 1

Also consider that Snapper (at least in my part of the country) is sold at a lower price point than Simplicity.  Here in the South, there are far more Snapper dealers than Simplicity dealers.  Those who sell both seem to price and position the Simplicity as the "premium" brand.  For example, Simplicity mower decks are typically full-floating with rear rollers, while Snapper uses wheels on each corner. I suspect that Simplicity will continue to use more steel than Snapper and their competition -- that has been one of their ways of differentiating themselves....

• Like 3

I am a shooting guy and although glock is not my ultimate gun, the polymer frame with molded in metal pieces to connect to the metal slide are quite strong and the first glock I bought around 1980 is still running strong even with polymer / plastic / nylon 6 pieces. It comes down to the quality of the plastics used and how they last with impact and use. 

I am old enough that hopefully I will never need to buy one of the newer,  more plastic tractors.  Hope to use my A.C. orange and yellow units til I can't raise my leg high enough to get in the seat!

• Like 4

Nope, go right ahead and use it. 

Doing some maintenance this a.m., so figured I better get on each one to make sure I still am able!

15086069248221105635115.jpg

Don't know why but people who own beat up plastic pieces of crap that they leave out doors all the time and  last less than a decade look askew at my fifty year old simplicity or AC tractors, and then wonder why I don't get something decent.

Never saw the beat of it.