Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MARK (LI)

Help!!

MARK (LI)

I came across a tractor of a different persuasion than AC or Simple....it is green...I know that it does not compare to the tractors that are the topic of this forum but it is sick...it has 9hp kohler...when sitting on the driver seat with foot on brake and other foot on clutch ..turn the key and can hear solenoid click...nothing else happens...if I run a jump from positive on battery to lug on starter it turns over, whether the key is in on or off position...but it won't start...I have a spark tester and it looks like no spark

any thoughts or suggestions?...thank you  Mark

Brettw

What Bob said.  Clean all the connections first, key switch, grounds, plugs, etc.  That may solve your problems.  I doubt it's a safety switch, usually when they are bad you won't even get a click, or the tractor will start anyway, evenwhen it shouldn't.  If you still have issues, I would agree to look next at the solenoid.  The click you hear may be the switch internally of the solenoid, but it isn't actually connecting.

Edited by Brettw

MARK (LI)

The click is the fuel solenoid at the bottom of the carburetor  ...I have been trying to trace the problem from the starter relay  with a multi meter ..the circuits seem to be as they should, but by  disconnecting and reconnecting I got it and got the engine to at least turn over now, just by using the key....bu still no spark

My though the that it could be the ignition module..I can't find points on the engine ...can't find the module eitherstarter relay

I am not sure what this relay below is...but no continuity with  key in either on or off position, or in cranking position

DSCN2790.thumb.jpg.548880f27d105515be10e74fb8f38319.jpg

Edited by MARK (LI)
add picture, noticed a mispelled word

MARK (LI)

Yes it is a 9hp vertical shaft kohler

as far as the circuit breaker....I am not sure what you mean hot on both sides at all times...Should I get a reading the same as battery voltage when touching one of these poles on this with black probe from multimeter and red probe to the Positive post on the battery?

MARK (LI)

Turned out to be the coil....thanks for responses   ...even when not right they offer some previously unknown information

Edited by MARK (LI)
forgot to add something