Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Why do people cut wires!

wis34

Hi all, I just moved up from my 1976 7016 to a Prestige 23 (model 1694618). While looking it over, i found 2 loose wires that were cut off. Tracing them back to what can only be described as a 'flat trailer harness plug' ...(you know the tyoe...3 male 1 female connection)....that was mounted underneath the left  hand running board.  It looked like it had a factory wiring loom wrap on it....had green,black,white,brown wires.....only the brown and white came out of the wrap...green and black were tucked inside. Anyone have any clue what this was for?...maybe it was shade tree engineering  from some precious owner.....Only other butchered wiring i've found(so far) is the wires from the PTO clutch are attached with wire nut...pretty sure they aint stock!.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Wis

Might be a connector for an estate sprayer. Where does the other end go?  Do the cut wires go back to a switch? Check if brown is hot and white is grounded.

Edited by B10Dave

No idea....the 'trailer plug' was  under what appeared to be a  a  12v lighter socket cover in a hole under the running board(facing the front end)....the wires were snipped about 8-10 inches from that plug....I'm thinking some accessory plugged INTO the  4 prong plug......but have no idea where the power was from.  Maybe the elec. pto clutch?

That flat 4-wire trailer plug is exactly what I use for the electric spout turner on the snowthrower.  Anyone that sees the plug hanging down in the front of the tractor always comment "shouldn't that trailer plug be hanging out the back instead of the front?"  :)

Thanks Mike...at leas someone has seen what i'm talking about! I assume 2 wires to the motor, 2 to the switch? However, my spout turner has it's own own  plug going straight to the rotate switch. (plug is identical to the head light connector). I think the PO was a bit of a 'hacker', so he could have done the wiring himself.Maybe he clipped the connector off the pto clutch!  I just pulled almost an extra quart of oil out of the hydraulic expansion tank under the seat(manual says 7/16 of an inch should be in there?).  But hey, fixing what other people had 'fixed' before is half the fun!

Edited by wis34

Why do people cut wires!

Not sure of the answer.  I do know however, that the guy who invented those yellow, blue and red plastic thingy's that you crimp to splice a wire, loves everyone with a set of side cutters....................

i belive some of the prestige tractors also had a power deck adjust option like the legacy and only 2 of the 4 wires are used to run the actuator.

Well, the guy I bought it from called today to see how things were going....Mystery solved! He cut the wires from the chute rotator/'trailer'plug and moved it to the other side, replacing the connector with a different, but still factory plug.

Now I have discovered the snowblower 'lock plate' is still attached, but the hydraulic cylender doesn't see to be in the correct holes. Shouldn't the cylinder rod be attached to the curved slot? (and will it be easier to remove the pin with it extended or pulled back in to the cylinder?)

Thanks everyone for your help......I love the new prestige, but the old 7016 sure was simpler to work on!