Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric lift issue

Cliff

I have a 912H with an electric lift that works intermittently. I have had this issue since I bought it earlier this year. Some days it works great, others not at all and then it will suddenly work again like normal. Is it possible it is some sort of cleaning issue, maybe with electric parts cleaner or something along those lines. If so, can someone tell me what to look for? Is there a cheap replacement alternative?

Intermittent electrical issues always scream bad ground to me.  I'm not familiar with the electric lift versions of these tractors, but start checking your grounds at the battery and engine block.  Check the connections at the switch and actuator as well.  You can also bypass the switch to make sure it isn't a failing switch.  

Yeah, I plan to take off the deck tomorrow and get under it and see what happens if I jump the switch, it's possible the toggle is going bad but the ground could be the issue as well, good advice!

I read a piece on these one time and it seems they often go bad, the lift unit, which is basically an electric powered ram. What goes bad in them and if they can be repaired, I have no clue.

I have one laying around with a bad motor. It was an intermittent problem for awhile. Don’t know if the problem took out the motor or the motor was the problem. 

Problem could be any of the issues mentioned above or some of the "X" wiring on the back of the switch. 

Here's link to UCD's wiring schematic for the electric lift switch (2nd one in post, formatting a little off when post was imported into new software):

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/42103-wiring-diagrams-spdt-dpdt-switches/?page=0#comment-42106

12 hours ago, Cliff said:

Are the motors replaceable?

If you use mfg #1690043, there is a parts manual available for the electric lift.  I doubt if any replacement parts are available from Simplicity, but maybe the manufacturer (Saginaw?).

However if you're interested in a replacement whole lift assembly, Simplicity will sell you one for $1084.15 per Jack's database!