Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Hunter

Considering buying a 4041 need advice

Hunter

I found a simplicity 4041 with snow blower and deck but want to know if I should get it? Can I still get parts to keep it going or will it be hard to use this as my main snow removal machine. I can rebuild anything on it but want to make sure parts are available and get some reassurance from you experienced restorers thank you

720nut

Some parts are available , most from members here that have parts machines.

Onan's can be quite expensive if rebuild is needed, front and rear clutches are very hard to find and if so are very pricey.

I guess bottom line is what you have to spend to purchase and what if any problems exist that need repaired.

You'll find that most of us who own these fine tractors have a parts tractor to help us keep them running.

Just my $.02 and a welcome to the club,. A little insight, they do tend to multiple.

Oh and we all love pictures.

Edited by 720nut

Gaucho

I would echo a lot of the above statements. I think with any tractor of that age you have to consider cost vs. condition and what you expect out of it. Parts can be hard to come by but this site has been a big help steering me in the right direction. Be patient and realize sometimes you may over pay and sometimes you might get a good deal.

I bought mine a year ago because I had some pretty big landscaping projects to do. I really haven't been able to use it much because first I had to fix the ignition wiring, then replace the front hydro pump for the loader, change a broken rear axle, and this fall it's developed some carburetor issues so it needs a rebuild or a replacement.

Also if you do need to replace an axle or a drop housing, make sure you know what parts you need. My 4041 had a rear axle from a 4040 and they're NOT interchangeable.

I wouldn't want to scare you away because I do think they're very cool machines, but there's also a lot of moving parts that will need attention. That's just been my experience and I'm sure other guys have had much better luck with theirs.

The first pic is part of the area of my lawn that I'm redoing...I had to rent another tractor to finish it. The second is the tear down of the rear axle. Good luck!

IMG_20170911_121327979.jpg

IMG_20170720_100445200.jpg

• Like 1

PhanDad

I don't know anything about these type tractors, but did enjoy reading jlasater's posts about his 9020 project tractor this past year.  It's my understanding the 9020 is newer 4041 but they have a lot of similarity.  Hopefully you'll find these posts educational and may help with your buying decision. 

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/56128-simplicity-9020-project/

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/58380-9020-final-drive-rebuild/

babablacksheep

I have two AC 720's, the Allis Chalmers version of what you are looking at. If you are willing to put a fair amount of work into them, and go through considerable aggravation looking for parts, you will wind with a really impressive piece of equipment.

jimmystractor

I don't have any experience with them however I can tell you that I have considered getting one.  After much thought though, I have decided that at some point I plan to get a Legacy XL 4x4 with a loader. 

720nut

The only down falls I have with these machines is the lack of power steering and available 4x4.

I own a 2 wheel drive Legacy w/loader and still trying to decide if I like or not, power steering is nice as differential lock, 2 speed , of the two the Powermax is definitely the better built in my opinion

Again it depends on what you are considering doing with them as both have many good points.

I love the styling of the 620/720Allis Chalmers over the Legacy.  Just my $.02

quantico

I would love a 4041 myself , but I am over my head trying to keep what I own now running and serviced. My machines are from 86 to around 1990 and the parts situation is hard to deal with . 

If you have great skills and pretty deep pockets for needed parts .... and another machine to use if your working on a problem I think it would make an excellent machine. 

I wanted one very badly and drove and looked at several,  I just determined that dealing with that large a machine from quite a while ago is beyond my skill ability. Hats off to the many skilled people here that can keep them running. 

720nut
4 hours ago, quantico said:

I would love a 4041 myself , but I am over my head trying to keep what I own now running and serviced. My machines are from 86 to around 1990 and the parts situation is hard to deal with . 

If you have great skills and pretty deep pockets for needed parts .... and another machine to use if your working on a problem I think it would make an excellent machine. 

I wanted one very badly and drove and looked at several,  I just determined that dealing with that large a machine from quite a while ago is beyond my skill ability. Hats off to the many skilled people here that can keep them running. 

I concentrate on my 620/720 as far as keeping them running as for the rest there just something to look at and say yes I have one of those, entirely to many to keep running all the time and makes me wonder why I choose to keep them all .

I posted somewhere about the need and want issue, mine is mostly want !

I believe I could have one or two and still be better off . But then I'ld still want the next one I saw.     Just my $.02

Talntedmrgreen

Having owned a couple Powermax's now, along with numerous Legacy's and a couple Legacy XL 4x4's, I certainly prefer to work with the Legacy over a Powermax.  The XL with 4x4 is tough to beat, but I really enjoyed the foot control implement lift on the early Legacy.  The differential lock on all Legacy's is tough to live without.  The Powermax wins in the cosmetics department, but when using a machine, that matters least.

The Powermax has more 'cool' factor, is heavier built, but also far less nimble, much higher maintenance and quite a bit more limited in rear powered implements.  However, I have found it relatively easy to locate other attachments, including loaders, for the Powermax tractors.  I have been fortunate to not yet have any major repairs.  I haven't yet used my loader on one, but would imagine it is quite a handful to operate, especially without power steering.  Foot control hydro would be an upgrade I would want before even powersteering, however.  That really spoils a guy. 

Gaucho

That's a great point regarding the hand controlled hydrostatic on the Powermax as well as the manuverability, manual steering, etc. (Not to mention the maintenance issues I've had). I bought mine as a workhorse but have been considering buying a more modern tractor for those reasons. I don't know what I'd do with the Powermax though because I can't really afford to have a project tractor at this time.