Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Homesteader dash tower compatibility?

Alltractoredup

I have an Allis Homesteader that has some rusted thru areas inside the dash tower.  Does anybody know what all tractors had this style of dash?

allis homesteader.jpg

Which portion is rusted out? Can you post a pic? There were two versions of the Homesteader 8 and the upper portion is different on the later model. The early model shares components with the B-207 as Lloyd stated, the later model uses one unique to that tractor. I might have what you need. 

Edited by Chris727

20 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Which portion is rusted out? Can you post a pic? There were two versions of the Homesteader 8 and the upper portion is different on the later model. The early model shares components with the B-207 as Lloyd stated, the later model uses one unique to that tractor. I might have what you need. 

Got our first snow of the year today...I will get pics tomorrow and hopefully you have one available.

Edited by Alltractoredup

3 hours ago, 720nut said:

I've got a B 207 and a B 208 S they need restored but would trade for your Homesteader 666

Sorry Lloyd, I love my little Homesteader sm06

13 hours ago, B-16_IC said:

Of the two I've had both had the steering column broken, don't understand why. sm00

Mine has steering issues too.  Not broke, but loose from poor design 

Edited by Alltractoredup

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:58 AM, B-16_IC said:

Of the two I've had both had the steering column broken, don't understand why. sm00

Yea I don't either, never had that issue

Shoot. That is the late model Homesteader. It may be fairly difficult to find those parts. The dash is different. Lots of other parts are different. Notice there is no ammeter.  They used a small charging indicator light. These tractors changed from early to late beginning with serial # 25401001.  

Yikes! That is spectacular. sm00

Here's a picture of mine. The last one I had the steering column had been poorly welded after breakage. After seeing the rust on yours I'll quit complaining. 

20171028_123745.jpg

Chris is there enough difference that an older dash could not be made to work ?

Just asking as it would be a shame to see these scrapped just for not finding a dash.

7 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Shoot. That is the late model Homesteader. It may be fairly difficult to find those parts. The dash is different. Lots of other parts are different. Notice there is no ammeter.  They used a small charging indicator light. These tractors changed from early to late beginning with serial # 25401001.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, B-16_IC said:

Here's a picture of mine. The last one I had the steering column had been poorly welded after breakage.

Must have been the same welder that welded the steering column tube to my Homelite T-12 dash.  I'm guessing they were made around the same time??

Had it welded up years ago after it broke loose.

IMG_5713.thumb.jpg.406fc558a7121dd0afa9678fa0748c55.jpg

SteerWheel_002.jpg.6edf1f77ea09c6642bec6e2fe4914dec.jpg

Not the greatest re-weld job, but it hasn't re-broken.  (And nor is the paint match, but it's what I had on hand at the time).

Edited by PhanDad

12 hours ago, 720nut said:

Chris is there enough difference that an older dash could not be made to work ?

Just asking as it would be a shame to see these scrapped just for not finding a dash.

The other bad part about this tractor is the trans does not shift gears.  It rolls in reverse in any gear.  Broken fork??  It may be best as a parts machine, but the center frame moves so nice, which makes it hard to know what to do.sm02

How similar are these to the Allis 608/610 and Simplicity 5008/5010?  That dash tower should work, right?

8 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Must have been the same welder that welded the steering column tube to my Homelite T-12 dash.  I'm guessing they were made around the same time??

Had it welded up years ago after it broke loose.

IMG_5713.thumb.jpg.406fc558a7121dd0afa9678fa0748c55.jpg

SteerWheel_002.jpg.6edf1f77ea09c6642bec6e2fe4914dec.jpg

Not the greatest re-weld job, but it hasn't re-broken.  (And nor is the paint match, but it's what I had on hand at the time).

The weld sure isn't the best, but at least someone succeded in saving this tractor.  I really like the blue/white Homelites

The other thought is to weld a replacement piece of strip steel after I cut out the rust.  I can weld thin gauge steel pretty successfully but it would be time consuming on a tractor that is not too high on my "get 'r done" list right now.  

2 minutes ago, Alltractoredup said:

The other bad part about this tractor is the trans does not shift gears.  It rolls in reverse in any gear.  Broken fork??  It may be best as a parts machine, but the center frame moves so nice, which makes it hard to know what to do.sm02

How similar are these to the Allis 608/610 and Simplicity 5008/5010?  That dash tower should work, right?

Hi. The 608/610  tractors were identical to the Simplicity models because the antitrust lawsuit had been resolved. The Simplicity models had a dash similar to the 727.728, 738.  I know the frames are different between all 3 types of tractors and since that is what the dash/cowl bolts too, I question their interchangeability.  I can take some measurements of my early Homesteader dash and maybe we can compare and see if things are close enough for them to swap. Finding a large L&G salvage yard may be another option. 

Interesting, I did not know this much history and compatibility of these tractors.  I'm not giving up on my little Homesteader.....It does not take up too much space

I wish you were closer, I'd give you the one I posted the picture of and you could make one of the two. The tractor is getting parted. 

• Like 1

Nick, are you terribly concerned about keeping it original ?

Might be easier to rework one of the other dashes just to get it up and running.