Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hey Dutch: I'm confused

TimE

You're confused? Join the rest of us...... Not sure, but I don't think that 394970 will fit or work on your engine. Don't know anything about them. Your local Briggs dealer should have all the answers. To the best of my knowledge, a regular armature (magneto, coil) builds a high voltage electrical charge. The points tell when that charge is to be sent to the spark plug. A Magnetron also builds a high voltage elctrical charge, BUT there is a little built in "thingy" that tells when that charge is sent to the spark plug. The "thingy" does the same job as the points, therefore the points are no longer needed.

Ron, I cut a Magnetron open one time and that piece inside sure looked like a "thingy" to me. What does it look like to you?

In a previous reply to my post (message # 6725), you stated that it's hard to tell the difference between a regular armatuer (coil,magneto) and a Magnetron. Briggs has a Magnetron Kit available that eliminates the points/condenser. This is just a small module not a magneto. They also have a Magentron magneto available. The question is does the Magnetron magneto still need points or an Magnetron Kit to create spark or is their function incorporated into the magneto itself? I'm only slightly more confused at this point. The Briggs part # 394970. The part is avilable from Jacks for $10.89 at the link below. Thanks Tim[A href='http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Ignition_b.cfm']http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Ignition_b.cfm[/a]

Right on Dutch, The last time i cut something open and it had a (THINGY)inside i had to throw it out. Have a good Easter. Ron B

Thanks for your response. I thought that they might have a do-hickey or a thing-a-ma-jig inside but I was sure.

• 2 weeks later...
its a power transistor and it pulses the coil to make the spark. I expierement with electronics a little bit so I know