Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sodbuster10231

7012 repower wiring issue

sodbuster10231

7012 kohler, repowered with briggs16hp. I have 3 wires coming from engine.one is black with solid copper center,red and white wire going to plug in. can anyone tell me how to wire this correctly. tractor does not have a voltage regulator,yet is electric start.thanks

B-16_IC

My favorite repower! dOd 

Where does the solid wire come from? Usually such a wire on an older Briggs is a kill wire, the other two are probably coming from under the shroud, alternator lead. These are my experience, can you possibly post pictures? 

Brettw

I think you will find some problems in the key switch.  I believe the Kohler is a battery ignition. In other words, the battery powers the coil, and when you shut off the key, it kills power to the coil, hence, no spark.  The Briggs is ground to kill.  In other words, the Briggs powers it's own coil/ignition, and when you shut off the key it grounds out the spark circuit.  Two different systems.  I am no electrical guru, so I don't know the details, but I do believe this is what you are dealing with.  Therefore, you can't just swap engines without changing some wiring.  I know you can add a Bosch relay, but it may be more involved thna that.

BLT

On the Briggs engine, the solid black is the mag wire, that goes to ground to shut engine off, the red wire is the 3A 12V DC charge wire and the white should be 12V 55W AC headlight wire. You can't use the existing switch to turn of the ignition.. You either get a new ignition switch and re-pin harness plug of get a Bosch relay and add it. You should be able to download operators book from Simplicity Mfg. and the wire diagram for the existing Kohler should be there.

Kohler_to_Briggs_SML.jpg