Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Feedback on the Classifieds, please

Kent

Now that they have been up and running for a while, and this newest release added the capability for a "Store" for a seller's items to be organized into, I'm looking for some feedback on the whole Classifieds section of the site..

How are these ads working for you sellers?

How are these ads working for you buyers?

What is causing problems and what needs improved?

Thanks!

• Kent pinned this topic

I haven't a single call don't believe it's the site as they were posted and easily readable

Am liking everything but the ability to add dialog between pictures

• Thanks 1

I have not figured out the dialog between pictures either. I do all posting from my Android phone so maybe that is part of it. I do love the ability to post pictures from it so easily, especially since photobucket did their thing. sm00

I have found the classifieds to be relatively easy to use now, adding pictures is easy but not the fastest upload. I posted one yesterday and thought it was faster than the last time but maybe it was on my end. 

I wonder how the traffic is on the classifieds compared to the rest of the sight? 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, B-16_IC said:

I wonder how the traffic is on the classifieds compared to the rest of the sight? 

When I get a chance I will see if Google's analysis might show the Classifieds traffic. 

I am trying to bring more attention to the Classifieds, including sharing them (or at least some)  to Facebook.

• Like 1

Until I can find time to go dig into the very complicated Google Analytics to try to find out more, here's a snapshot from the admin control panel for the site, showing the online users (not visitors, specifically).  Not sure of all the criteria it is using, nor the raw numbers involved

.online-users.jpg

Im surprised by the results, if that is showing traffic.  It almost appears to display posts, rather than traffic.  I have been trying to solicit feedback from non club members who frequent the FB pages, and have heard from several that their ONLY visits here are to look through the Classifieds. 

I would love to see traffic with Club Members filtered out.  Kent, how does the Google Analytics work?  Where is that information?  At work we have converted nearly everything to a Google platform...tools and resources, analytic tools, email, calendar, etc.  

I think it is the users online at the time the snapshot is taken, or an average of them.  It shouldn't be posts, but I'm not sure -- there's no documentation.

Google has webmaster tools for sites using Adsense (used for non-registered visitor ads) that tracks the traffic better, but I haven't tried yet to see what it will show.   It tracks visits and the most used paths to navigate through the site, but it has limitations also and I can't readily configure it to track specific things.  Similarly the server host has a stats package that I haven't looked at at all.

Typically, I've only monitored overall site traffic and it has surprisingly held pretty steady at about a hundred thousand =/- visits a month.  I watched this for a few months to see if the site was losing overall traffic due to the new IPS software -- but it is not.  Meanwhile, traffic at the old site has continually, slowly decreased as visitors have become more accustomed to this new one, and quit going there to research things.  Both sites are being cataloged by Google Search engines, so that search is still sending some people to the old site...

I'd like to see the traffic snapshot chart for a month or at least an extended period. Like Josh, I think a lot of non-members come here to look at classifieds and maybe a featured article but seldom visit to see what's happening or research archived articles but I'd like to know. I I'd like to see us make a run at increasing paid memberships and this kind of data would help us target. 

Now for your classified question Kent: I had problems using at first until I followed the tutorial exactly. I was jumping ahead a little thinking I knew what to do but shortcuts didn't work. (I can't get an advertiser to respond - just wonder why the ad was placed?). 

• Talntedmrgreen unpinned this topic