Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

jimmystractor

Anyone get annoyed at you for the hobby?

jimmystractor

I get the sense of some annoyance from family about my tractor obsession. My wife couldn't care less. I honestly wonder if there is a bit of jealously from others.

I still have a garage parking spot for my wife. 

IMG_1284.JPG

Does anyone else deal with friends or family who don't understand the fun of collecting garden tractors?

Edited by jimmystractor
  • Like 3

Talntedmrgreen

Sometimes after spilling my guts in front of family about some tractor type of thing, I get the feeling they are thinking 'Oh not this again', but generally, they seem interested when visiting the house, or if I take a tractor someplace to knock out an odd job for family.  Annoyance becomes apparent when my wife starts to see overflow into our garage, or worse, outside.

I often have to excuse myself by saying "I know it's not sexy like classic muscle cars, but I can afford this."

• Like 1

B-16_IC

I mostly don't bring it up in mixed company and even avoid the subject if possible. This is mostly because of most people's habit of calling them lawnmowers, which makes the hair on the back of my neck bristle!>:( And then there is the fact most of the people I am surrounded by have JD.

As for the wife, she's seen the odd jobs I've accomplished with them easily and is a believer. She also has horses, so she admits to the lack of a leg to stand on. &:)

• Like 3

720nut

Wife lost her spot in the garage long time ago when we first had modified mini pulling tractor and now who knows how many AC" and yes a couple of Simplicities.

She has her bear collection in every room in the house so she don't complain to much, love that woman.

At one time my dad had 42 Allis and Simplicities that ran, he'll be 82 the 28th and don't get around so good anymore, most are just rusting as he won't sell and wife said a big fat NO ! and who knows how many for parts

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 2

GregB

My wife used to own horses.  I always told her , "when mine sit unused in the barn they do not cost me a dime"  Unlike the un ridden horses in the stable.  Thankfully she sold them, now just pays for lessons sm01 , when the weather cooperates.

• Like 1

Chris727

Mom and Dad would probably prefer I had a couple muscle cars sitting here instead of 30+ lawn and garden tractors but sometimes Dad had been by my side in obtaining them.  

• Like 1

fishnwiz
On 11/1/2017 at 12:14 PM, 720nut said:

Wife lost her spot in the garage long time ago when we first had modified mini pulling tractor and now who knows how many AC" and yes a couple of 

My girl has NOT parked in the garage once since we moved in 19 years ago. No room with classic car and fishn boat plus tractors ect..:ph34r:

• Like 1

dhoadley
1 hour ago, fishnwiz said:

My girl has NOT parked in the garage once since we moved in 19 years ago. No room with classic car and fishn boat plus tractors ect..:ph34r:

That's the secret; set boundaries right at the start. Same rule for 25 years and she's perfectly happy. (I think...) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bill725

I absolutely love this topic. In 2000, after I purchased a new Sovereign. My brother in law asked me, "Why in the world would you spend that much money on a lawn mower when I bought a new Sabre made by John Deere for $2000 less at Home Depot?" I stated, "My Dad handed me down a 1962 725 to me and I plan on handing down my Sovereign to one of my children." Needless to say, after a few years the hydro went out on the infamous Sabre. It was replaced with a Cub Cadet. Same thing, hydro went out, and he is on another Cub Cadet. In the end, who spent more money?

On another note, my wife stated, "You need to find a hobby so when you retire you have something to do with all of your time." Wow, the flood gates just opened up. I decided my new found hobby will be Simplicity tractors. I now have (2) Sovereigns, a Sovereign rolling chassis parts tractor and (3) FDT tractors and I am looking for an excuse to get a FEL tractor and I have at least 5 years to go for retirement.

• Like 5

gwiseman
4 hours ago, Bill725 said:

... "You need to find a hobby so when you retire you have something to do with all of your time." Wow, the flood gates just opened up. I decided my new found hobby will be Simplicity tractors. I now have (2) Sovereigns, a Sovereign rolling chassis parts tractor and (3) FDT tractors and I am looking for an excuse to get a FEL tractor and I have at least 5 years to go for retirement.

Linda likes that I have a hobby and has never stepped in the way of my additions, trips, or tractors & equipment setting in the basement. When I started talking about building a shop she has been all in (to get them out of the basement I suspect). 

• Like 2

dhoadley

Location has been key for me. I purchased a 2-family rental less than a mile from my home. What used to be a 2 car garage is now a shed with all my "stuff". SHE knows its there but never sees it. dOd

• Like 4

fishnwiz
2 hours ago, dhoadley said:

Location has been key for me. I purchased a 2-family rental less than a mile from my home. What used to be a 2 car garage is now a shed with all my "stuff". SHE knows its there but never sees it. dOd

Now that's a sweet setup!

rich_kildow

My wife hasn't ever said anything, mainly because the tractors can live in the pole barn and rarely take up a spot in the garage.  Occasionally I have to remind her that over the years, I've only spent a few hundred bucks by the time purchases and parts sales all work out.  My brother gives me a little crap occasionally, but this is usually when he hasn't needed to borrow a tiller/grader/leaf vac in a while.

• Like 3

spi

Some seem to have problems with an orange mower deck on a yellow tractor or running one without a hood. And the guys down at the garage seem to enjoy making fun of my home built  snow cab on the 3410. I guess they feel entitled their having big one ton 4wd pickups with huge V plows and little flashing lights all over them. My brother seemed quite amused with my Homelite XL which has both blue and red parts on it. Guess they must be jealous of my tractors and saw lasting 40 years or more. My other brother has a pile of worn out out blown up and even crushed Stihls. And don't even mention lawn mowers. I still run three Lawn-Boys one of which I bought new when I was 11.

Wow, talk about built up hostility! This started out being a sarcastic one liner.

• Like 1

Hick

My favorite writer (Roger Welsch, lives 12 miles from me) has a Rustoration series of books about old tractors. Granted, he is talking field tractors. His wife was complaining about his hobby, wishing "they weren't so big and didn't weigh so much". His friend replied, "You mean you'd rather he had  a hobby that was 5'3" and 115 pounds?"
She decided tractors weren't so bad after all!
;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

quantico

I have four sunstars and a lot of spare parts, I had 7 tractors at one point and think that having two sunstars will be about right. I have considered selling all but one sunstar and buying a used legacy or legacy XL with a deck and snow blower and calling it done. My daughter likes driving the sunstars with power lift and power steering and hand hydro control because they are quite comfortable and feel safe and substantial. 

People at work give me a hard time about collecting tractors and an even harder time that I have four walk behind snowblowers and a few spare engines that go with them. I do fix a lot of stuff for friends , and often give away those free mowers or 150 dollar snowblowers that I have fixed up and made reliable again. I give them to co workers that buy their first house and have little money to buy outdoor equipment. 

I think it’s not always having several tractors or other equipment that people give you a hard time about...   I think it’s having messy overflowing garages and workshops that look like a horder after a thirty year run...     it’s having many project machines that look like they will never see the light of day again. It’s also the state of repair that your machines are kept in. 

I have four sunstars , two are currently running, one needs a bit of cleanup and a new battery to be running and one is a parts / project tractor that after five years I have not even tried to start. If your machines are running and working I don’t think people really care about what your doing in the garage. If you have five to ten tractors and have to work a couple hours to find one to mow the yard your going to be thought of as a nut job. 

• Like 1

fishnwiz
On 11/5/2017 at 8:10 AM, rich_kildow said:

My wife hasn't ever said anything, mainly because the tractors can live in the pole barn and rarely take up a spot in the garage.  Occasionally I have to remind her that over the years, I've only spent a few hundred bucks by the time purchases and parts sales all work out.  My brother gives me a little crap occasionally, but this is usually when he hasn't needed to borrow a tiller/grader/leaf vac in a while.

30 chainsaws :ph34r:

HOW MANY SAWS IS ENOUGH ??. ..If I knew that I would not own any! sm03

• Like 2

SmilinSam
On 11/1/2017 at 6:04 PM, GregB said:

My wife used to own horses.  I always told her , "when mine sit unused in the barn they do not cost me a dime"  Unlike the un ridden horses in the stable.  Thankfully she sold them, now just pays for lessons sm01 , when the weather cooperates.

I told my wife that if I bought AND restored 1 tractor a month, every month,  I would never catch up with what she spends on maintaining her fleet of horses every month&:)

• Like 1

720nut
4 hours ago, quantico said:

I have four sunstars and a lot of spare parts, I had 7 tractors at one point and think that having two sunstars will be about right. I have considered selling all but one sunstar and buying a used legacy or legacy XL with a deck and snow blower and calling it done. My daughter likes driving the sunstars with power lift and power steering and hand hydro control because they are quite comfortable and feel safe and substantial. 

People at work give me a hard time about collecting tractors and an even harder time that I have four walk behind snowblowers and a few spare engines that go with them. I do fix a lot of stuff for friends , and often give away those free mowers or 150 dollar snowblowers that I have fixed up and made reliable again. I give them to co workers that buy their first house and have little money to buy outdoor equipment. 

I think it’s not always having several tractors or other equipment that people give you a hard time about...   I think it’s having messy overflowing garages and workshops that look like a horder after a thirty year run...     it’s having many project machines that look like they will never see the light of day again. It’s also the state of repair that your machines are kept in. 

I have four sunstars , two are currently running, one needs a bit of cleanup and a new battery to be running and one is a parts / project tractor that after five years I have not even tried to start. If your machines are running and working I don’t think people really care about what your doing in the garage. If you have five to ten tractors and have to work a couple hours to find one to mow the yard your going to be thought of as a nut job. 

This sounds like my mother always complaining that dad had to many and when she wanted to mow always had to work on one first. man the memories.

jimmystractor

I definitely have gotten some eyes rolling type of looks from family and friends when I talk about going on another tractor run. It seems to me that people understanding collecting classic cars, at least in my family. It seems like they respect that. I don't get the same reaction when I have bought a nice, original tractor. Recently, I showed a family member some before and after photos of a tractor I cleaned up...his reply was that he washes his tractor once a year.

In All honesty, I couldn't care less what most people think of my tractor collection because it's fun to me and I get enjoyment out of it. 

Another thing for me that could be contributing to some of the "head shaking" is that I am new to collecting these things. I bought my first Simplicity in August of 2016. I got bit by the bug...

I now have four beautiful Sovereigns 18's that are my main tractors I hoe to keep for a very long time. I have another sovereign I plan to sell and a parts tractor in the shop as well. So, I technically have 6 tractors. The first tractor I bought has since been traded off and I bought, used and sold another one in that time. 

I suppose that is a lot for a guy in just over a year...

Edited by jimmystractor