Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MercerRec

Snowblower Question

MercerRec

I am looking for some insight and appreciate any suggestions on adding a machine for snowblowing duty.  Here is what I am working with.

First off,  I have a 89'ish 7117 (manual lift, poor man power steering) with 12hp Briggs running a 42" blower off the mid PTO, and it does a very good job mowing/blowing snow here in WI.   Its a little rough but there are no mechanical issues with it and overall it handles the white stuff OK.  One notable shortcoming is even with a stinger and 2 collar weights on the rear lift the single stage blower does take some effort/energy to run. This machine is used at a family property "up north" and withstands a fair amount of hard use from a couple different operators.  And I have a 16hp Briggs ready to go into it if the 1968 12hp ever gives up so it will likely outlast me.

Machine 2 is a 7012H (manual lift) with a recently rebuilt a Kohler 12hp ; overall the tractor was in good condition (new seat installed and plow sold after pic taken), the Kohler now runs perfect, and its pretty nimble with 42" mower.   So I started thinking about winter when it started sleeting here recently, and I am not planning on using a walk behind snowblower.

The 7012 does not have the front PTO but I think I have one here on a shelf, I just need to find it.  It's off a Briggs-3300 series from a early 1970's or so Sovereign or Baron; I think the Kohler and Briggs PTO's were the same but I am not sure so I could potentially rig a front PTO and source a blower/hitch to run off the front.    Alternately I have the mid PTO cross shaft with 2 tabs on it from a 7100 series machine and could try and find a left hand frame plate from a 7100 series machine and rig the mid PTO to spin the blower and source a hitch and blower.  I have stingers, collars, wheel weights, starter weights,  and chains for all of them.

Or should I add buy another tractor with a blower that with hydrolift, power steering, maybe diff lock like a Legacy?    Anyone know of any good machines that are available?

Thanks for the help.

P1080918.JPG

P1080769.JPG

• Like 1

Kent

Unless I'm mistaken (not a Kohler guy), the Briggs has  1" crankshaft while Kohler has 1-1/8", so the front PTOs won't interchange.

Personally, I have stuck with the old foot-draggers because they've had or I've added hydraulic lift WITH down pressure which is great for plowing and scraping snow and ice.

Though 12hp will run a 42" snowblower, having more is helpful, especially in wet deep snow. I found that my 12hp Briggs stayed on governor much of the time when pushing a 42" in wet and heavy New England snow.

MercerRec

The rear lift on the 7117 is not a factory unit and just has a funky angle, it interferes with the seat pan if its adjusted more vertically if that makes sense.

I agree about the wet heavy snow comment, but the 12 has done a good enough job that I havent been tempted to install the 16 in its place.

The Kohler has a 1" diameter shaft, I just checked it. 

B-16_IC

Sorry I didn't word that correctly. On the RBT tractors like yours the rear lift goes up when you lift the front mount implement unlike the older FDT tractors like the stinger came with originally which act opposite. On the old ones the stinger counterbalanced the front implement, on the RBTs it adds to the weight being lifted, not good on armstrong lift. They can be changed though, just wondering how yours is. 

Brettw

Sorry I didn't word that correctly. On the RBT tractors like yours the rear lift goes up when you lift the front mount implement unlike the older FDT tractors like the stinger came with originally which act opposite. On the old ones the stinger counterbalanced the front implement, on the RBTs it adds to the weight being lifted, not good on armstrong lift. They can be changed though, just wondering how yours is. 

Though 12hp will run a 42" snowblower, having more is helpful, especially in wet deep snow. I found that my 12hp Briggs stayed on governor much of the time when pushing a 42" in wet and heavy New England snow.

What they said...........    And I will add, a hydro is the way to go with a machine used for blowing, IMHO.

MikeES

The front clutch mounting plate is different on the Kohler and Briggs.

I have one of each complete with lever and rod that I would sell.

Kohler K on left and Briggs ci on right

IMG_1577.JPG