Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle Mower Performance

Dutch

I'm presently running an ad for Sickle Mowers. I planned on keeping the brand new one for my own use. It is a 1690030 and has a different type bar than the older style. Another club member sent me the following email: ******************** Herb, "If that one mower with the "newer" style cutter bar is the kind that has the moving row of cutter sections sliding against a "fixed" row of cutter sections You may not want to keep the newer style to use. All accounts I have heard of that type paint them as not doing such a great job of cutting. Word is that the older kind with the regular rock guards, like the big sickle mowers, does a much better more hassle free job of cutting. This is just what I have heard, no first hand experience. I have mowed with the older kind. Cut tall grass, weeds and saplings with very few problems. I know they do a good job. ******************** Do any of you club members have any experience with the "newer" style bars? Please be candid. Another member is interested in buying the sickle, and I don't want him to be disappointed.

Woody, I'm only asking it like it is. Since Simplicity sold them new, I assume they must work somewhat. I’d really like to keep this sickle for myself. But, I will probably use it very little. I want the prospective buyer (a club member) to hear the “real deal,” so he doesn’t get buyer’s remorse after he takes the sickle out of the box and puts it to work. I sold two of the older style sickles to someone who already owns others, and uses six of them commercially. He never used the newer style, so he couldn’t give me an opinion.

If the guy uses the sickles commercially, I'm guessing he breaks/wears parts. How does he keep them going? Pretty much nothing is available from Simplicity anymore. I'm sure other people besides me would like to know how to keep these things going, even if they don't get used much.

Dutch, still the possibility of "bad" news being expressed by others' "opinions" was I'm sure anticipated by you. A negative spurt of opinions could affect your sale. I still applaude your posting.

Tim, The buyer of the 2 sickle bars is not a member of this club. He found me through one of the people who sold me a sickle bar (he was a few days too late). He does have a problem finding parts. That’s why he bought the sickles from me. He seemed very interested in the sickle bar conversion.

Woody, Thank you for the “applause.” Sure, I anticipated the possibility of negative comments. It’s just that I learned a long time ago to be “up front.” I’d rather lose a sale now than have problems later. To me, the value of that sickle is the fact that it is brand new. What would it be worth once used? If the buyer is aware of all the facts, he’s on his own with whatever decision made. Besides, I’m looking for a reason to justify keeping that sickle.

When I started my never-ending hunt for a sicklebar many years ago, I had a discussion with my favorite local Simplicity dealer about the differences between the two styles of sicklebars. He told me the older style sicklebar with the rockguards both cut better and are more resistant to damage than the newer style. The newer style tends to plug more. Anyone interested in the conversion, contact me.