Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Just Got a Big 10 and have a few questions

brampton02gt

Hi everyone, I just got a big 10 today from a friend.  It is in good shape and I am going to fix up for the kids to do some pulling with.  It is not running at the moment.  It turns over  The engine is 243431-0123-02  but the briggs site only lists 243431-0123-99. Is this the same engine?  In case I need to rebuild it.

thanks

If you download the manual, on the cover page, it will probably read: 243400 to 243499 and then list the type numbers included.

I have an electronic parts list from 2002 that covers your engine.  If you want a copy, PM me your email addie and I'll send it to you (too big for club mail).

Welcome to the club.

8 minutes ago, brampton02gt said:

thanks for the help.  i am going to be bothering you guys. i hope you don't mind.  

No problem, ask away!  That's what we're here for. 

Hey guys the tractor turns over on the battery but has no spark.  Took the cover off the points. They are corroded.  

Is there a plunger that should move in and out?  Looks like one that opens the points. I lubed it.  Can it stick or does it only open so slightly I can't notice.

Should I note any timing or anything before I take them off.