Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wide1

just picked up an a/c 312. that's the good news. doing "google" trying to find out exactly what I've got isn't working too well.

so, need, ya'lls help in telling me what it is.

see attached pics

12hp Kohler, hydrostatic, trans, power hitch, electric clutch on nose of motor.

NO TAGS ANYWHERE I CAN FIND.

in pic 18, there is a vertical lever that I assume is the drive release, it don't budge. any suggestion on how to free it up?

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

• Like 1

I am currently working on a Landlord 101, no hydro but the same general design, and like yours mine has has been sitting for many years and has the same problem. I would remove the side panel as shown in the photo I marked up below, and soak it in PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating lubricant, then after letting it soak, use a hammer to get the pedal to move, spray in some more lubricant. and keep working it. If this doesn't work, take a torch and apply heat, making sure there are no combustibles like oil soaked dust and grass clippings near  where you are working. Rinse, wash, and repeat until the lever moves freely.

5a00619247c5d_312cbp.jpg.7d89b047d632f9aff14b05190718f7a5.jpg

By the way, welcome to the club.

I think he's asking about the "freewheel" lever for the Vickers tranny. 

There were two types and they work opposite.  The early ones, like in my Homelite T-12, the brake doesn't work when in "freewheel".  Here's a pic of the instruction plate and you can see the lever end:

T12_trans_decal.thumb.jpg.0b23ad74028a2779983adb243893b6e1.jpg

I believe your AC312 is the above type.  If you can't push the tractor easily with the lever in the position it's in, that would confirm.

The later type, in the "freewheel" position, the brakes work.  Here's a pic of that label and you can see the "freewheel" position is reversed:

3416_trans_decal.thumb.jpg.665667d9d1e9392214e59e6b132db924.jpg

All I can suggest to free it, is to spray with penetrating oil and rock the tractor back and forth while applying some pressure to the lever. 

If the tractor has sat in the weather water may have gotten inside and rusted parts together.  I believe this is the problem rfsmith ran into; I'm pretty sure he posted about opening up the case to repair the problem, but the only post I can find is about putting it back together:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/38458-vickers-drive-neutral-lever/

• Like 1

thanks to all for the info. didn't know it is a Vickers tranny. got the lever unstuck. used torch to heat it up. PB didn't budge it.

where can I find out what the tractor designation should be. I've seen 312, 312C,D,H......

33 minutes ago, wide1 said:

thanks to all for the info. didn't know it is a Vickers tranny. got the lever unstuck. used torch to heat it up. PB didn't budge it.

where can I find out what the tractor designation should be. I've seen 312, 312C,D,H......

With hydrostatic transmission, you would have an A/C 312H. I have an A/C 414S with a shuttle transmission. They are close cousins and the red-headed step children to the rest of the club. Welcome, Dave

• Like 1

I did a quick search (home page, spy glass in upper right orange ribbon) for 312d: https://simpletractors.com/search/  7 pages of threads & some interesting stuff here (this is one I don't know much about). This specs post is helpful to id: https://simpletractors.com/research/allis-chalmers/ac-300-series/1971-catalog/300_specs/

Keep those update pics & posts coming. Looking forward to reading your progress. 

Edited by gwiseman

Not really sure on the exact capacity but I fabbed one up on my 7117 using an electric lift from a tractor just like yours. I had a 10" moldboard plow on the back and it lifted it with ease until the welds on my custom bracket broke(It was only my 2nd or 3rd time welding... The weld looked terrible and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did).

5 hours ago, Simplicity7013H said:

Not really sure on the exact capacity but I fabbed one up on my 7117 using an electric lift from a tractor just like yours. I had a 10" moldboard plow on the back and it lifted it with ease until the welds on my custom bracket broke(It was only my 2nd or 3rd time welding... The weld looked terrible and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did).

Elliott, pretty weld doesn't actually mean it's stronger, practice makes perfect 666

On 11/7/2017 at 2:27 PM, 720nut said:

Elliott, pretty weld doesn't actually mean it's stronger, practice makes perfect 666

My Grandpa used to say "If you can't weld good, weld a lot".

• Like 1