Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone have a source for paint?

MARK (LI)

Looking to fix up an AC and I am going to need paint...anyone have a good source? ..I know that Tractor Supply sells Rustoleum for farm equipment that comes pretty close to JD colors, but did not see any others that would match AC or Simplicity

I wouldn't go through your local Simplicity dealer unless you want to take out a home equity loan. I wanted to get some silver paint for the wheels on a sovereign and it was over $20+ for a rattle can.

Edited by jimmystractor

3 hours ago, jimmystractor said:

I wouldn't go through your local Simllicity dealer unless you want to take out a home equity loan. I wanted to get some silver paint for the wheels on a sovereign and it was over $20+ for a rattle can.

Its not supposed to retail for that normally. Maybe $11 a can. Not all dealers sell at the same margins. Some charge list, some list + 10% or +20%.  The last time I bought a quart it of powder orange it was maybe $33.00 and that is enough to paint most of the tractor.  It is an alkyd enamel so you'll have better durability with something from an auto paint store. 

Which models are you looking to paint?  Yellow B-Series tractors? There were three shades of yellow and I believe there are three shades of orange. (corporate orange, powder orange, deep orange) depending on the model you are painting. 

Edited by Chris727

Rustoleum has a "Simplicity orange"   ...I did not realize that there 3 oranges   will try a simplicity dealer   thanks for your input   Mark

2 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Its not supposed to retail for that normally. Maybe $11 a can. Not all dealers sell at the same margins. Some charge list, some list + 10% or +20%.  The last time I bought a quart it of powder orange it was maybe $33.00 and that is enough to paint most of the tractor.  It is an alkyd enamel so you'll have better durability with something from an auto paint store. 

List on that simplicity wheel paint (Briggs paint) is now $21 a can. It had been $12.

Not sure if all the other paint has nearly doubled or not.

Edited by jimmystractor

I've used the Majic paints at TSC and for me they match close enough  on the AC orange that I don't worry about it.

The AC yellow went to auto parts with Wells formula and had it mixed acrylic enamel, but cost almost $400 to paint my B207.

Wide range of prices. Deep orange $12.99 to Cardinal Red at $21.99

http://www.sepw.com/touch-up-paint/simplicity/

I usually use Duplicolor Chevy orange DE1607 on the earlier Simplicity machines (3400 Series and earlier. I haven't found a great match for the AC corporate on the 700 900 tractors. The AGCO corporate orange is a little brighter than the AC corp orange. 

7 hours ago, 720nut said:

I've used the Majic paints at TSC and for me they match close enough  on the AC orange that I don't worry about it.

The AC yellow went to auto parts with Wells formula and had it mixed acrylic enamel, but cost almost $400 to paint my B207.

Lloyd, was that DuPont? I had been using PPG Omni, now ShopLine for my Yellow. 

33 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

Lloyd, was that DuPont? I had been using PPG Omni, now ShopLine for my Yellow. 

Chris believe it was Shopline, pretty pricey to paint a b207

I'm pleased with the outcome and will surely use again

Edited by 720nut

5 hours ago, 720nut said:

Chris believe it was Shopline, pretty pricey to paint a b207

I'm pleased with the outcome and will surely use again

Yeah I used some on my truck, if I was better at painting I think it would have turned out fine. All of my B-Series stuff did except the hardener got mixed too heavy and made the paint too brittle. When I was buying it in the STL area it was rather inexpensive paint. Bought a quart of metallic silver two years ago and it was about $60 for that. I already had reducer. 

Shopline? Never heard of it. Is that a value line from a part store? We shoot Dupont /Nason products at the shop so that is all I know. I need to paint some yellow so I am open to suggestions. dOd

3 hours ago, jimmystractor said:

Hey @Chris727 thanks for posting the link to sepw...that was the cheapest I have seen metallic grey wheel paint...bought four cans!

You're welcome. They are a good place to deal with. They are also a brick and mortar hardware store, Tennies Hardware. 

17 hours ago, 720nut said:

This is white primer I used under the yellow, yellow was Michael Wells formula, I'm pleased with the outcome

DSCN1838.JPG

DSCN0625.JPG

DSCN0648.JPG

Am I reading that right, that it was epoxy primer? Seems like epoxy is pretty good stuff. I always just used some regular high-build DuPont primer we had laying around. A gallon goes a long way. I think its from the 80's and I still have more left. 

9 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Am I reading that right, that it was epoxy primer? Seems like epoxy is pretty good stuff. I always just used some regular high-build DuPont primer we had laying around. A gallon goes a long way. I think its from the 80's and I still have more left. 

Chris may be but I just walked in with formula and this is what they mixed me, may have seen me coming but it took almost a gallon to paint my B207 and deck

I don't have the paint can anymore to look at but it wasn't cheap and did a nice job.

I could never get paint to last that long

• 6 months later...

I got a quart of Simplicity Deep Orange by searching on Ebay. This is the genuine article but only for newer machines. It was about $30 with shipping. I can give you the part number if you need it.

My experience with the farm supply store paint is that it looks good right away, but fades terribly! I have a John Deere deck that is supposed to be yellow, but is faded to almost white!
But the Green & Yellow from Deere is staying true.

Heres what I use:

Valspar AC orange -AC 300/400/700/900 series - Simplicity 7000/7100 series

Rustoleum Chevy engine red - Simplicity 3400/3300/3100/3000/2100/2000 series and older

Rustoleum pewter gray - 3400/3300 series gray hoods and wheels

Rustoleum titanium - metallic wheels on Duetz Allis and others. A little too dark, but its cheap and readily available

Rustoleum old catipillar yellow - B series tractors Not a pefect match, but again its cheap and available locally

Rustoleum canvas whiite - Wheels and hoods  on most tractors using white  where a bright white color just wont do.

I like Valspar paints best. Most durable and fade free imo. available at Blaines farm and fleet. TSC uised to carry it till they switched to magic a few years ago. Rarely prime before painting, always good results

Rustoleums have good color, but I chastize it because it seems to chip easily. Priming with rustoleum primer seems to be a must. seesm to help reduce the chipping problem somewhat.

Havn't found ny off the shelf Duetz green or close. Had to have a gallon made up at a local paint store once. Not exactly cheap, and I really dont like spraying with a gun all that much.

I dont go to the extent of trying to copy specific shades of yellow an the AC line as I dont show my stuff. I work it , get it dirty and all scratched up. So exactness of color doesnt matter to me. Just trying to brighten up my machines.

This is my experience anyhow.

• Like 2