Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MY 1960 Wonder Boy 700

D600

Hi, I'm new to the site, I posted a picture of my tractor to the gallery but I don't know how to post pictures in a post. I recently brought my 1960 Wonder Boy back to NM from NY, it had been sitting uncovered at least since 1997 so it is quite rusty. I used to mow the lawn with it when I was a kid. I have the tiller, snow plow, 32" mower deck, a Pennline dump trailer and a York rake with a grader blade for it, and I left the snow thrower and the plow in NY for now since I don't need either of them. The engine spins like it doesn't have any rings at all so I decided to convert it over to diesel using a 10hp Yanmar clone. I drove it around the yard last night for the first time, it needs axle seals but everything else seems to function as it should. I thought I had found the seal numbers on here somewhere but I am unable to find them now, can anyone point me in the right direction? I have a bunch of pictures to post once I figure out how.

Nice haul.  You can keep the tractor away from the boy but you can't keep the boy away from the tractor.

At the bottom of the reply text box you can see "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..."  You can drag & drop your pics or click "choose files"  and browse to your picture's folder location.

OK, thanks, I understand now. I thought I had to post them in the gallery first to link to them. Here is the picture of how I found it when I got to NY. The hood was in the shed and the grille was in the garage.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

The dash/ battery tray pieces and gas tank were toast due to a battery disintegrating in it. Everything was original to the tractor but none of it was usable at all. I bought a piece on ebay just so I had somewhere to put the battery. The new piece was newer so I had to shorten the steering column tube.

IMG_20171028_144741574.jpg

IMG_20171029_182243985.jpg

I did find part numbers for the rear axle seals, looking at exploded diagrams I am finding two different part numbers, 2121190sm and 2154269sm. Did the second one supersede the first one or do they not interchange?

Welcome to the Club!! The second number, 2154269SM is the correct seal for the rear axle per the 700/725 parts book. Its the same seal used on all of the rear axles on the large frame Simplicity tractors. 

11 hours ago, D600 said:

OK, thanks, I understand now. I thought I had to post them in the gallery first to link to them. Here is the picture of how I found it when I got to NY. The hood was in the shed and the grille was in the garage.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

So then, is it a 700 or is it a weed eater???sm03  No matter.  It is still looks like a fun project.  And It has been in the family for how many years???  Nice save.

Edited by wwbragg

Whew!  She is a project alreight, but has the bones to be something great again.  Very cool of you to go back and fetch that for recuperation!  

• Like 1

Apparently the early 700s used a different seal, I called Sandy Lake Implement last week and was told that they will not interchange. I am going to try some Blue Devil Trans stop leak in it so I can use it this afternoon.

My dad bought the tractor around 40 years ago, I first mowed with it when I was 8 (1979) and it had probably been since the early 80s since I had used it myself. I'll try and post some pictures this evening of it now that it's back together.

I pulled the muffler off to modify it so the hood would clear, turns out it is t any louder without it so I pie-sliced a VW j-pipe which had the same flange.

IMG_20171114_170252780.jpg

IMG_20171114_170640974.jpg

I still have to.make a new seat, in the meantime I'm using a vintage stadium cushion. I used the dump wagon today to haul dirt to the front yard to fill in the peacock holes.

IMG_20171115_164412169.jpg

10 hours ago, jimmystractor said:

I can't believe that is the same tractor that was in the weeds...nice work.

No kidding!

10 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Nice backhoe. 

I drove past a TLB Terramite with ROPS on my way to work for a couple years.  It moved around and I could tell he used it for moving firewood and what looked like, cleaning out a large fire ring they had out back.  I shoulda stopped and asked about it, because I haven't seen it now in probably 6 months.  :(  There is no shed or garage, so it was always out under a tarp with that backhoe peeking out.  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• gwiseman
    • BLT
    • oldsarge
    • StanD
    • TheFlash300
    • Darl Swartz
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site maintenance scheduled to begin 10a CDT on 3/16/24
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts