Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grown man in a sandbox...with a backhoe (video)

Talntedmrgreen

Finally had a bit of time to sneak off in the backyard and try out the Brantly I picked up a couple months back.  Too much work lately, and not enough play...

• Like 3

I also attempted to show how they are removed and installed.  I had to yank it to put the leaf blower on for one last lawn cleaning, and figured it was a good time to show how I've learned how to do it.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

Will it handle a little larger bucket?

Ehh....I don't know.  This was pretty sandy, with some small roots and it will move the tractor around quite a bit.  It squawked a few times too, when I would try to do something it didn't wanna do.  This is the mid sized bucket Brantly offered...13".  The big one is 16" and the backhoe I recently said goodbye to had the 16.  It's huge.  The small bucket is 8" and Phil had one of those.  It's too tiny for anything other than trenching for an underground line.  I think the 13" is pretty well suited for the unit.  

I think my KwikWay hoe had 9" and 16" buckets.  The 9" is in this video..again, my first outing with the unit.  The KwikWay is quite a bit stronger, and the 4-way joysticks vs 4 2-way levers is a lot more intuitive.  But, the Brantly has way more cool factor, and it's more fun to use the older machines.  The 16" bucket moves a LOT of material, and would still hook and snap 2-3" roots without balking.  The KwikWay pump was at least double to triple the physical size of the Cessna on the Brantly though.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SmilinSam said:

They sure beat using a shovel dont they?&:)

It's amazing the amount of labor needed to dig a hole with a shovel, even the size of one bucket scoop from this thing!  It's also always amazing how much dirt can come out of a hole.  

Speaking on the amount of dirt needed to be moved to make a hole what always amazes me is that I can put 8-10in pipe in a trench along with wire and maybe some under ground oil lines and after it is filled back up it there is never enough dirt after it settles.

• Haha 1

I should have a few pictures, but they won't be as clear as that Brantly video.  I no longer have that backhoe, so I'm not able to take new ones.  Both are pretty darn simple.  The pump on the XL is a bit tougher to mount, simply because it mounts under the tractor and is at least twice the size, plus a mounting bracket and 2' shaft.  But, like the Brantly, it's pretty much drive up, mount pump, back into the hoe and raise front of subframe with the dipper.  Legacy uses 2 pins up front, and 1 in the back.  Powermax uses just 2 pins in the rear.  The KwikWay is much more comfortable to use, and the stabilizers are 9' wide when lowered, so it's much more stable.  It has a 'tighter' feeling construction and more hydraulic power.  But it's also 150lbs heavier and much more challenging to store.

This is all I have.  Kinda shows how the subframe mounts to the main unit, and how it tucks up under the tractor.  It pins to the loader subframe in the same spot the front implement hitch would, and sits on the 3pt arm mounts in the rear.  There is a long pin that holds an upper bung on the hoe, to the spot where the 3pt top link would be pinned.  The pump is placed on the mid PTO shaft first, and pins to the loader subframe on the belly of the tractor.  The contraption is over 800lbs, I believe.  I don't think I ever ran it over 1/3 throttle.  I can't imagine how fast it would operate at higher RPM.  Too fast to control. It's nice to have a liquid cooled tractor to operate at low RPM like that.  Most of my loader work is also done below half throttle.

13147727_1794433827497174_7385114725247000448_o.jpg

10683711_1759303074343583_1352784980182796157_o.jpg

12715930_1759303114343579_1395043196095529859_o.jpg

10904047_1759657907641433_2631772000947347080_o.jpg

• Like 1

Ok thanks, was just curious as to how it all connected. I'm not real convinced that the rear can withstand that kind of weight for an extended period of time

I've got a Kelly B600 hoe I'm considering but that may end up on one of my Allis's

11 hours ago, 720nut said:

Ok thanks, was just curious as to how it all connected. I'm not real convinced that the rear can withstand that kind of weight for an extended period of time

I've got a Kelly B600 hoe I'm considering but that may end up on one of my Allis's

The design is going into it's 14th year and I have spent a lot of time researching XLs and talking with their owners...never heard of any sort of rear end failure on one.  Seems to be holding up well.  It's an entirely different rear end than what you saw in your early Legacy.  

The B600 is a nice little hoe!  I looked at one at a dealer closeout auction, but it was a 3pt mount model.  I don't have the means to build a proper subframe to fit it on a smaller machine like a Legacy or Pmax and wouldn't consider a 3pt mount unless I had a much larger tractor.  

39 minutes ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

The design is going into it's 14th year and I have spent a lot of time researching XLs and talking with their owners...never heard of any sort of rear end failure on one.  Seems to be holding up well.  It's an entirely different rear end than what you saw in your early Legacy.  

The B600 is a nice little hoe!  I looked at one at a dealer closeout auction, but it was a 3pt mount model.  I don't have the means to build a proper subframe to fit it on a smaller machine like a Legacy or Pmax and wouldn't consider a 3pt mount unless I had a much larger tractor.  

I'm going to cut the 3 pt stuff off and build a solid frame when time comes.

I've not had a chance to look at the XL's but someday maybe someone will have one close I can look at.

Fatherinlaw had it on his B2900 Kubota and it worked but was just not a solid connection so to say, to much movement. but definitely beats a shovel.

Thanks for sharing the videos, you're an excellent videographer.

And I'm always amazing at the dirt you mid west guys have.  Where'd all the rocks go?

3 hours ago, PhanDad said:

And I'm always amazing at the dirt you mid west guys have.  Where'd all the rocks go?

Pennsylvania, they grow real good in that ground . New disc blades every other year when I lived in western Pa.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Michigan is a big sand dune!  Easy diggin. 

Southern CT is glacial rubble.  We have stone walls everywhere as settlers tried to make farmland. The ground never runs out of rocks.

4 hours ago, dhoadley said:

Southern CT is glacial rubble.  We have stone walls everywhere as settlers tried to make farmland. The ground never runs out of rocks.

I've noticed that in a lot of craigslist pictures!  The glaciers took all the rock that must have been where the Great lakes are now, ground it down to white powder sand, and gently laid it across the MI lower peninsula.  Some world class beaches and lots of clear blue inland lakes.  We aren't without rocks, but it's an entirely different deal than out East.  Here, folks take nice size rocks and field stones and sell them alongside the road or list them online for landscaping use. 

19 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

....  Here, folks take nice size rocks and field stones and sell them alongside the road or list them online for landscaping use. 

:shock:

4 hours ago, dhoadley said:

:shock:

Exactly!  Ive seen people errect fencing around their fieldstone piles.  Folks will steal them!