Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big 10 Air Cleaner

brampton02gt

Hi guys,  Does the air cleaner on my big 10 have a bottom plate/cover?  I have  a top lid. but it seems there should be a bottom, or does it fit onto the carb shield  directly?  Also can I use threaded rod to bake a new shaft for the air cleaner? or does anyone have one for sale?

thanks

Curtis, yes the air cleaner should have a bottom plate similar to in this picture. I am not sure about a threaded rod but can check the threads later. I suspect several here have spares on the shelf - I know I do.  

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.233264f24e364d9c4b102c549ca66ee2.jpg

This is the base for an original Big Ten carburetor.  You should have a threaded rod and the air cleaner top has a nut inside it (secured with a 1/4" bolt from the top).  I suppose if you need this it can be for sale. The later tractors used the same tube but with a hole in it for a rubber breather tube to connect. If you have the original engine, it will have a small canister screwed onto the engine block just behind the starter-generator. That is the crankcase breather and it is vented behind the air baffle. Later engines had the breather contained in the valve cover and had a rubber tube connecting directly to the carb. Using a later carb on an early engine requires plugging or sealing off the hole or it will suck air and dirt into the carb. 

IMG_8516[1].JPG

IMG_8517.JPG

13 hours ago, brampton02gt said:

Also can I use threaded rod to bake a new shaft for the air cleaner?

thanks

I've used a carburetor  stud to replace the rod.  If the holes threads are stripped (or don't exist as Chris suggests in the above post) use a nut above and below the carb housing and you're good to go.