Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help with makeshift leaf collector

mcd

I've been searching online for one of these for a while with no luck. I'm curious if anybody has made their own makeshift version using a trailer/trashcan and ductwork. I have a small pull behind trailer but I'm trying to get some ideas on how to connect to the mower deck. I have a 7117. Thanks!

700_atch2_lg.jpg

Peco made an attached verison of the leaf collector, for the 700, 900, 7000, 7100 series tractors (like yours).  I have one and really like it.  They originally came with a large collection bag, but I converted mine to blow into a mounted trash can.

Two units were available.  One, like mine, runs of the tractor PTO.  The other was powered by a small briggs engine, and I believe was built to blow into a trash can instead of a collection bag.

Others will surely respond if I'm giving you bum info.  LOL

20 minutes ago, Gary said:

Peco made an attached verison of the leaf collector, for the 700, 900, 7000, 7100 series tractors (like yours).  I have one and really like it.  They originally came with a large collection bag, but I converted mine to blow into a mounted trash can.

I also have one of the Peco units.  Please start a thread about your conversion from bag to trash can.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Gary said:

Two units were available.  One, like mine, runs of the tractor PTO.  The other was powered by a small briggs engine, and I believe was built to blow into a trash can instead of a collection bag.

Others will surely respond if I'm giving you bum info.  LOL

1 hour ago, PhanDad said:

I also have one of the Peco units.  Please start a thread about your conversion from bag to trash can.  Thanks.

Thanks for the replies! How much did the Peco system run you? Do you have a model# or link by chance?

41 minutes ago, mcd said:

Thanks for the replies! How much did the Peco system run you? Do you have a model# or link by chance?

Link to catalog page in Research Section:

https://simpletractors.com/research/simplicity/new-in-1978/78_10_12_14_hp/

bagger.jpg

I got mine as part of a package deal with a 1978 7016H.  The unit is Simplicity mfg# 1690402.

I bought a Simplicty vac unit to put on my HB-112.  Previous owner had it on a 48" simplicty deck similar to the ones shown here.  He bought it without the deck boot, and just bought an end register with 6" ductwork, and opened the register end up and bolted this on the deck.  I had to have a sheet metal one made for my older 48" AC deck.  I drew out and mocked up a boot out of cardboard, and had it made. $55.00 out of 24 gauge metal.  Using furnace duct and 6" irrigation pipe, and a couple more of  furnace duct parts and blow it into a trailer made up of 1/4" OSB and just used hook and eye to fasten all sides and top together.

26 minutes ago, macallis180 said:

I bought a Simplicty vac unit to put on my HB-112.  Previous owner had it on a 48" simplicty deck similar to the ones shown here.  He bought it without the deck boot, and just bought an end register with 6" ductwork, and opened the register end up and bolted this on the deck.  I had to have a sheet metal one made for my older 48" AC deck.  I drew out and mocked up a boot out of cardboard, and had it made. $55.00 out of 24 gauge metal.  Using furnace duct and 6" irrigation pipe, and a couple more of  furnace duct parts and blow it into a trailer made up of 1/4" OSB and just used hook and eye to fasten all sides and top together.

Do you have any pictures by chance?

For the conversion to a trash can on mine, I measured the diameter of the metal frame that the top attaches to, and purchased a garbage can with a similar top dimension.  That way, the existing top will tie onto the garbage can.  I cut a sufficient amount (about 6" for my application) off of the upright support, so that the metal frame for the top sits closer to the trash can.

I sit the trash can into the unit tray, and attach the top to the trash can, using the metal frame to help support the trash can.

I'll try to post a picture to be more clear, as this is getting pretty wordy.  LOL

Hello, Here is some photos of mine  It works really good  great for leaves and grass  The rear wheels are casters  and a lot easier to back up . John deere still sells something like this $$$

Thanks Ken in Mi

wide body cart turbo blower 56 009.JPG

wide body cart turbo blower 56 010.JPG

wide body cart turbo blower 56 013.JPG

wide body cart turbo blower 56 014.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gary said:

For the conversion to a trash can on mine, I measured the diameter of the metal frame that the top attaches to, and purchased a garbage can with a similar top dimension.  That way, the existing top will tie onto the garbage can.  I cut a sufficient amount (about 6" for my application) off of the upright support, so that the metal frame for the top sits closer to the trash can.

I sit the trash can into the unit tray, and attach the top to the trash can, using the metal frame to help support the trash can.

I'll try to post a picture to be more clear, as this is getting pretty wordy.  LOL

I'd love to see some pictures!

I bought this Trac Vac for $225.00 (used) about 10 years ago and have it mounted on the rear of an AC 716H.

Runs the vacuum with a mounted 5 HP Briggs engine.

Works well with grass or leaves.

Trac Vac.JPG

• 1 month later...

I ran across a guy on CL who is selling an old beat up 7000 series with some accessories. Talked to him today and he said he would part with the vacuum system for $75 (no trailer). He said the tubing is probably shot and would need to be replaced. I have my own trailer that I could rig up to the system if I get it. Just wanted to see if it was a good buy or if I should hold off.

00s0s_w7G8Ojuf74_1200x900.jpg

5 hours ago, dhoadley said:

If it comes with the part that mounts to the deck, that would seem fair to me.

Thanks for the reply. I believe it does. He's an hour away from me. I'm going to try to get out there within the next few days to take a look.

I have a me made unit for that tractor with a Trac Vac deck chute,  Briggs engine blower and a yard cart I'd love to see go to a new home....... but virginia is a long drive

Edited by isetta

That looks similar to the  same vac that I bought for 75.00.  You will need a second pulley off the transmision to be able to run the vac.  I needed to get the pulley.  If it is like mine, there should be a lever to move the driven pulley on vac from loose to tight on the pulley from vac to driven pulley from the transmission which runs all the time.  Previous owner on mine never needed it as he had a cone clutch on his tractor.  The biggest expense for me was new belts, and the boot to fit my approx. 18" opening on my 48" AC deck which apparently has a bigger opening than the Simplicity tractor that it had been mounted on.  Previous owner just used an end furnace register boot opened up.  I Used 6" plastic corregated drain pipe that came with vac, and bought some 6" light flexible duct and some regular 6"furnace elbows to finish.  Came with a 8" to 6" furnace pipe reducer from vac input to piping.  I have seen this reducer in Menards as well in the furnace piping dept.  I can't seem to get pix to post on this site, but if you private message me your email I could send a pix that way.  Actual new vac flexible tubing is VERY expensive.  Vac works outstanding.

• 2 years later...