Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

last min. bid

UCD

yup that stinks, next time do like they do and what until the last minute or get hooked up with one of those sniper services that electronically bids at the last minute, i think there is a fee however.

realy makes you mad when you are hi bidder for 2 days and the last min you get out bid by $1 by some one who hasn't bid before. And by another club member no less Maynard aka/UCD

I guess to wordy, wasnt enough to the point, why? I edited it within 1 minute of posting, is this bad? Dan

UCD Hey, I just realized this post was about me. WOW! You were the other person bidding on the trailer. If it makes you feel any better, I bid 105.00 for it as my maximum bid. If you would have bid 106.00, it would have been yours. Kind of makes me mad though, I cant even bid on eBay without someone like you ridiculing me in a sight that I frequent and like. Cant edit either, huh. Next time am I suppost to post that I'm going to bid on something, and the amount, and the time? Just plain petty UCD. And on top of that, this sight is suppost to be enjoyable, friendly, and an information forum. I do not beleive it is meant to post discusion ads about your judgement of others in a negative way. > Dan I apoligize to the other members for getting upset in this reply.

I don't have the gift of brevity, so forgive me... If it gives you any further solace, I had my max bid set to $117. The only reason I don't appear as the bad guy this evening is that I failed to finalize my bid due to my own Ebay ineptitude. If I'd hit the post-review bid key about 10 seconds earlier, I'd likely have won. I really wanted this trailer myself and losing it significantly dampened my mood also. Granted, it makes no sense for me to effectively pay $170 for the thing given it would have cost me another $50 to get it shipped (I had inquired with the seller). I also recall Herb mentioning rational, lucky souls in the North East pick these up for 35 bucks. However, I've got a vacuum collector I'm itching to hook up, these things don't grow on trees in Washington State, and thus rationality slips to second place. I'm not criticizing you at all for doing so, but if you were in my shoes, why would you make the item even more expensive for yourself in the end by bidding the item up in advance? I've been sniped on every tractor part I've bid on. I knew there were others waiting in the wings on this one. Since I really wanted it, I figured what the most rediculously high amount I was willing to eat and entered it. It didn't work out and I'm annoyed, but I'm not annoyed at this other guy. Unless we can all come to a cordial agreement here on Club Member Ebay bid etiquette (which would likely result anyway in non-members winning every bid), then you have to live with the fact that placing multiple bids over a several day period does not guarantee you or oblige anyone to cede to you an auction. In this instance, I doubt it even occurred to the other gentleman that you were a Simpletractors member. Your Ebay ID definitely didn't register with me. On the other hand, if I'd seen "Maynards" it would have rung a bell and I'd have hesitated in bidding because I too wish to treat others here with respect. I guess the bottom line on Ebay is that(frequent sellers will unfortunately love to hear this) if you really, really want something, you need to enter the absolutely highest amount you would be willing to pay as your max bid. Don't get your hopes up because you appear as the high bidder over the course of several days if you happen to place your bid in advance. In the end, if someone pops up and pays a dollar more, it doesn't mean they purposely stuck it to you by a buck at the last second. Very possibly, they were willing to pay $20 or even $30 more, but the system doesn't require them to if you stop at price point X. If it really means a lot to you, you just need to take your best shot, remind yourself that's all you would have been willing to pay, and let it go if someone wants it more. Don't misunderstand me. I wish Ebay functioned differently. A going, going, gone feature that gives everyone a last second, 2nd chance, along with elimination of bidsniper tool usage would be sweet. I'd ultimately much prefer to deal with a seller directly via the For Sale and Want Ads sections here, purchasing an item for a mutually agreed upon fair price. Unfortunately, that just isn't the way the game is played when folks opt to post on Ebay and unless you play the game you are seldom going to win a sought-after item. Maynard, I hope you find one of these soon. Cheers, and a safe and happy Easter weekend to everyone! Regards, Jeff Brown

Sniping and Ebay, After reading Dutch's earlier offering and other inputs about the "buddy-system" and etc. that goes on regarding Ebay, I have become very careful regarding "do I really need this item". I am finding that if I have some patience I can usually find what I need cheaper elswhere. As far as bidding, It really doesn't matter if someone is a member of a club such as this, if you want it, bid. It is not up to the webmaster or other members to be concerned here about bidding on items at Ebay. Everyone is an individual while bidding and has nothing to do with SimpletrACtor. Sounds like: "MOM - HE LICKED MY SUCKER WHEN I WASN'T LOOKING!!!!!!!

Well, this certainly opens my eyes to just how I am going to sell off some of the stuff I am about to collect. I'm picking up my father's old Landlord with a bunch of attachments and I am probably NOT going to do much with it except sell it to someone who WILL do something with it. From what I see here, I think I'm going to refrain from Ebay and just open it up to club members in the classifieds via sealed bids. I'm not one to go and instigate trouble, nor one to choose sides, so I'll simply thank those involved for the slice of what "could happen" if I put it on Ebay. Gregg

Ease up guys. Here's some opinions about sniping. MadManX[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=5961&mode=short&startwith=0']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=5961&mode=short&startwith=0[/a]

We are all grown adults, so why all the chidish behavior. Stop the crying or I am going to sell al my AC/Simplicity tractors and buy a Wal-Mart mower. In all auctions there is a winner and a whiner!! GROW UP

It is how much you want to pay for the item. Put in your highest bid, set the bid increment and the system do it for you. All the information is there. It just depends on how much you are willing to give. If it surpasses that value live with it. You have the option to be informed about the auction on a daily basis. I find a lot of ac-simp. implement in northwestern Ohio an have not seen ac-simp carts go for $35.00, maybe $300.00. The guy in Shelby, Ohio on Rt. 61 did have some. He is listed under salvage yards on this sight. Ryan

Dan I shake your hand you did not have to say it was you as no one would have known. The post was made as to the inequities of the ebay system. I would have liked the cart but don't need it. I am not new to auctions as i have been to more than most in this club I use to go to as many as 3 car auctions a week for over 5 years and at least 1 a week for 15 more. But in a live auction you go to your limit of what you want to pay but you always have the option of what you are willing to pay (two different things). I like to be out in the open. Oh and by the way the snow blower from NY. that Dutch was talking about befor is back with a different seller but from same town. All part of the game of LIFE i guess. For the record you would have gotten it any ways as i would have only gone to $100.oo that plus $75.oo to get it here was all its worth to me. Maynard aka/UCD

I really fail to see the sense in all the anti Ebay thinking nor the hostility against so called last minute "sniping" bidders. Think about it. A bidder goes in and bids what he is willing to pay the first day . Opening minimum bid is $10, and bidder#1 puts in a bid of $75.01. Over the course of the week 6 others put in thier highest bids running the first bidder up to $69.50. First bidder still has the bid. OK now, there sitting in the wings is bidder #8 who has not bid yet.#8 does not know what #1's high bid is, but he is willing to spend $80.00 on the item and he is waiting till the last minute to bid so as not to unnecesaarily drive the price up prematurely. Minimum bid to #8 is $70.00 because there is a .50 cent increment. #8 at the last second bids his $80 and gets the item bought for $70. In reality Bidder #1 has no leg to stand on for griping because he placed his high bid to begin with, and even if he changed his mind and became wiling to spend more than $75.01 - he had six more days after the first to raise his bid if he wanted to. Why unjustly crucify Bidder #8 simply because he chooses to bid late in the game? You also have to keep in mind that # 8 and #1 are really in the same boat too. #1 by bidding early in the game and not coming back at the last minute only has his one bid to top all other bidders and win the auction. #8 also only has one chance to top the earlier bidder because by bidding at the last second there is no time to make a second higher bid if the first does not cut it. SmilinSam

If some one could come up with an original muffler for a 7790 Lombardini that is some thing i could realy get serious about. Maynard aka/UCD http://www.simpletractors.com/images/7790_diesel/7790_engine.jpg

Subsequent posts may be speaking past me anyway, but I'm mellow on this also. If making a comment on a touchy subject, I just prefer to try and fully explain where I'm coming from (not that I always succeed with clarity). Have a good one.

It was an Ebay outbid post that started the verbal no-holds barred, battle on the davidbradleytractors, yahoo club site. I personally, think that last minute bidding, is the way to go. You pay, what you think the item is worth, without artifically driving up the price with emotional bidding. I just lost a seat I wanted, to someone that sniped me. Its annoying, but I've won some too. But, the most interesting comment that came out of the D.B.T's battle, was appropriately, "Ebay is war"......Art

I've been sniped and I've won bids by waiting to bid till the end. I've also put my max in from the start and won some, lost others. In the end I never really couldn't live without whatever it was.... for those things there's a parts/hardware/dealer store somewhere and you pay retail. As I've seen it put before: Fast,Good,Cheap... pick two.