Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homemade grader blade

lboy1971

My brother and I scrounged around our shop all day and had a graderblade assembled at night fall. We wanted to duplicate the originals but we didn't have the type of iron laying around. So we made one out of what we had. We'll probably try it out tomorrow and see if it falls apart or not. We ended up using a 48" blade that's only 4 inches tall. For the hitch we used a single piece of heavy gauge box steel. The whole thing sure is heavy. Maybe I can get some pics of it in action tomorrow to share.

We tested our grader blade this mourning on our folk's driveway.I must say we did a very good job with what we ended up working with for matial.Not only did it stay together but it did a rather nice job of gradeing.This of course was our prototype blade,which means there will be more and there are improvemnets we saw that could be made that even the original did not offer.My brother has the pics on his camera yet.the four inch blade is kind of short but we intend to modify it by adding a couple of inches of heavy steel(at least 1/4 inch)welded to the blade to make it a little higher,I think about four inches on top of what we have will be about the same as the originals.the blade we used is 1/2 inch thick.Heavy metal for sure,and I really dont think we need to worry about bending in case you hit something buried in the ground. I used it this afternoon on my own driveway,I am very pleased with our design.And in the design,I dont know if this was true with the original but ours was fitted to a 725 I believe and I used it on my ac/712h.So it will fit the smallest tractor to the bigger ones with no troble at all.

Sound like job well done, congradulations!!!If you have a county road camp around you you might try to scrounge a chunck of used grader blade from them instead of adding to yours. I've only used mine on hard pack snow so far but it don't seem to take much to fill it up. The oem's are 8 inches tall, much taller and you would be hurting for lift space. Improvements as in hydralic left to right?? MPH