Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

gwiseman

Log Splitter

gwiseman

Looks like something that could be rigged up on the rear of Sovereign. Took a  quick look through the archives but didn't see anything like it. Any out there? 

splitter.thumb.jpg.84ee6b49c3e75ed6583b7ed2dfa30685.jpg https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-210-With-4-Log-Splitter/182734237757?hash=item2a8bcf303d:g:fhYAAOSwtS1ZmEBB 

Edited by gwiseman

Talntedmrgreen

John Deere is the only one I’ve seen that offered a belt powered splitter for garden tractors and they are pretty pricey. I believe Didier made those for them. It would be a simple adaptation but so would any small splitter if I guy had a pump and reservoir he could use like shown in that photo.

I have seen a few of the case log splitters and those are pretty darn slick. The tractor mounted version and the tow behind version had a type that split both ways. Those are slick because they simply run off the tractor hydraulic system and are pretty slick. This is a local fella here using one:

https://youtu.be/xix9DnpesFk

ShaunE

Bowhuntforlife & I have both done business with Jonny before.  He has the most hard to find Deere stuff of anyone I've ever seen.  Nice guy but hard to get a hold of.  He has a pristine Earthcavator that Chris sold him.  He has very few Simplicity items but he does have a 7790 and it's good from far but far from good with a Dupont overhaul.  He does have a 9020 with an Ark 700 loader that has been for sale for a long time now.  The bucket isn't the greatest but it doesn't seem grossly overpriced to me.

Yes Didier made the splitters & they are a great splitter.  I was trying to find one of the small towable ones last year but ended up getting a honey of a deal on an Iron & Oak 26 Ton from an Ace Hardware as they were replacing their rental.

Edited by ShaunE
  • Like 1

spi

I have been thinking seriously about building a screw type splitter for the front of my B10. Haven't the time right now but maybe in the spring. would be good to have something by next fall to use on the wood for the winter after this one.

I think it would look intimidating to have that screw out front.

Talntedmrgreen

The Screw type splitters work fantastic. But I think if I were to use one on a garden tractor I would probably use the rear wheel mounted method. It’s a real bummer when you stall the engine on a large log and have to get the chainsaw to cut it off the screw. At least on the rear wheel you can use reverse to back it out.

• Like 1

spi
9 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

The Screw type splitters work fantastic. But I think if I were to use one on a garden tractor I would probably use the rear wheel mounted method. It’s a real bummer when you stall the engine on a large log and have to get the chainsaw to cut it off the screw. At least on the rear wheel you can use reverse to back it out.

Good thinking

720nut

Like the design other than it should be made to stand up so you could split large pieces, as for screw types scare the dog crap out of me

Way to easy to get hurt IMO.  Just my $.02

• Like 1

Alltractoredup

This is one of many winter projects I hope to do, I have all the parts just need time.  I will make it mount vertically on the rear or my tractor.  

• Like 1

GregB

Home built.  Heavy wall box beam is wedge carrier, cylinder mount, and also the hydro fluid tank.  Pump is mounted on the tractor and driven from the right angle PTO using a pair of V-belts. 

Attaches via IH's single point Quick hitch set-up.

• Like 1

720nut

Has anyone tried running a hydraulic pump on Powermax PTO and if so what were results ?

Just wondering if 2000 rpm would be to much for pump. 

I saw a splitter mounted on the side of an older Cub Cadet years ago and was wanting to build something similar, self propelled, it ran off of front clutch on engine

Edited by 720nut

MikeES

I have seen 3-pt wood splitters that the hydraulic pump mounted to the 540 rpm PTO, so the splitter did not use the tractor hydraulics.  Using the tractor hydraulics (especially small and older tractors) the flow was just too slow.

Edited by MikeES

jlasater

720, as long as the pump is rated for it, 2000rpm should be fine. The pump on the Daynco loader belts off the front of the engine and on mine is sped up because of the pulleys. I don't know what it's turning, but it has to be pretty fast on my loader.

ShaunE
16 hours ago, 720nut said:

Has anyone tried running a hydraulic pump on Powermax PTO and if so what were results ?

Just wondering if 2000 rpm would be to much for pump. 

I saw a splitter mounted on the side of an older Cub Cadet years ago and was wanting to build something similar, self propelled, it ran off of front clutch on engine

Should work fine.  Both PTO's are capable of running Cessna pumps.  Loaders & backhoes.

720nut
7 hours ago, ShaunE said:

Should work fine.  Both PTO's are capable of running Cessna pumps.  Loaders & backhoes.

Shaun was thinking about one I currently have on splitter. not sure what size it is .

Right now run by 8 hp Briggs. 

ShaunE
5 hours ago, 720nut said:

Shaun was thinking about one I currently have on splitter. not sure what size it is .

Right now run by 8 hp Briggs. 

I guess if you used a vibra-tach to find out what the current engine is running at, it would give you an idea.  Then you could determine if you needed a different pump or a belt reduction to the current pump.  Mnoonan & I are currently working on reproducing the optional rear PTO pump drive used on the Brantly backhoe.  Josh & Rick & Phil have helped a lot with pictures, measurements & pieces to have reproduced.

• Like 1

Talntedmrgreen

It's interesting, as I have used the various loaders and backhoes for some of the tractors we're familiar with, and some pumps put quite the load on a machine while others seem to have little effect.  All have performed very well.  

The brantly backhoe auxiliary pump is quite large compared to the loader pumps, and working it will stall the CCKB when the fluid and engine aren't warmed up thoroughly.  Interestingly, the alternative power source for the backhoe's is... the loader pumps.  The backhoe seems to operate fine off that setup, however.  The 620/Brantly I had was running off a Danco loader pump setup, up on the front PTO.  The little Cessna's used for the Danco loaders don't seem to be felt by the CCKB at all.  

I had been considering one of the local auction tractor mounted splitters, and using the reservoir and pump that run my backhoe.  However, the conical splitter I use on my Legacy 540 is faster than I think a hydraulic splitter would be, and we only split wood for fun (camping).