Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carburetor problem - I think

dlsven

I just bought a 7116H with a 16HP B&S engine that had been sitting outside at a JD dealers lot for 3 years. The gas guage/cap was broken so the gas tank and carburetor had water in them. I removed the tank and carburetor, emptied the water and put in new fuel lines and a fuel filter. I can start the tractor and drive it a little bit using the choke. I can get it to idle without the choke but when a load is applied it dies unless I fool with the choke. It seems to run best with about 1/2 choke but that's not consistent either. Can anyone give me any advice? Do I need a new carburetor or is something else wrong? Thanks.

Dennis, You probably don't need a new carburetor, but yours is most likely loaded with "crud" & "slime". Remove the bowl and clean it out. Check the float & inlet valve. Remove the jet screws & blow out the passages. Check the bowl & flange gaskets for rips or tears. Check the throttle & choke shafts for wear. Also, wouldn't hurt to replace the plug, points & condenser. You have changed the oil already..... right?

Herb, Good advice, right on. If he can't get the carb clean, he can take it apart and soak it in vinegar for a day or so. The acetic acid makes a pretty good, environmentally friendly, safe carb cleaner. Good luck, Al Eden

I take out the "jets", remove bowl and blow it all out with carb cleaner, then with low air pressure, blow it out. Reset high speed and low speed jets by turning all the way in by hand, then back them off 1 1/2 turns for each. It should start, warm it up then, set them where engine runs best at high and low rpms. I would also install new spark plug, clean coil wire ends and coil receptacle for plug wire, take off head and remove all carbon from piston and head, make sure intake and exhaust valves are operating properly, at mimimum, clean and reset points and REPLACE condensor.

Once you start it with the crud inside my advice is to get a rebuild kit and really clean it out. I've wasted more time than I care to remember fooling around with a dirty carb. The rebuild is not hard to do and the kit is cheap...MadManX

Al: I'll be doin' the 700's carb real soon. How about using the vinegar? I just read all the things vinegar does, but I mean, have you done this a number of times? How many times has it failed to remove the "crud", varnish, etc..., and were you able to figure this out prior to reassembly/testing? I'm all for tryin' to "Tread Lightly" upon "Mother Earth," (like the ATV crowd--and I have one myself) whenever we can, so thanks! Peter

Thanks to all who replied. I'm a new member and really appreciate all the advice and now have some things to try.