Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Well it finally happened/ Kubota Powersteering

720nut

I've finally had to resort to other storage as I need garage to complete this current project for a friend, 

Installing power steering on early model Kubota with Sunstar steering unit

DSCN1857.JPG.899387a334be9300e6bf164ce1457e80.JPG

DSCN1859.JPG

Edited by 720nut

Using orbital valve off Sunstar, I've still got to get tank off to get at bolts on steering box but coming along nicely

Was going to remove loader but owner has had work done and hoses will not connect as instructions state so I'll just work around it.

Had to order longer cylinder as Sunstar only has 3.5 stroke and I'm needing 8 in stroke.

Edited by 720nut

I agree, no power steering and a loader too....those old Kubotas sure had an odd paint combo.  Looks like an interesting upgrade

The operators manual has listing for power but I've heard from some that it was kind of expensive when new so most opted for arm strong steering.

Coming along nicely just a pain trying to actually getting things unbolted, I have the orbit valve mounted will post a couple of pictures later.

Got cylinder today and got it mounted, a little smaller than I thought but should work ok.

I had assumed that the steering knuckles were lacking grease but when jacked up they turn extremely well, half flat tires probably don't help much.

Going to be putting new tires on front they're cracked bad enough I'm actually leery of putting to much air in them.

DSCN1871.JPG

• Like 1

Am working on hoses and man are they expensive, fittings ain't far behind

I had Bob the owner down yesterday to see his concerns and so far he's tickled to death, as he says just so it steers.

Ok more pictures, I've got all the hoses made everything is mounted and coming along nicely

Now just to build fittings as they aren't available to make the transition, then a test drive before I have owner over and reassemble everything

DSCN1888.JPG

DSCN1889.JPG

DSCN1890.JPG

DSCN1891.JPG

DSCN1892.JPG

Ok after custom hydraulic fittings I've got it up and running.

Everything on tractor is tight so I've got extra fittings to clear some things.

Ended up taking two metric bolts and drilling them and cut two fittings off and had tig welded together to make connection.

Only thing I'm concerned with is you need a lot of throttle to get pressure to turn to right, once increased it functions as it should.

Maybe I should start another thread and address this issue and find out what others have run into on their power steering swaps.

DSCN1895.JPG

On 11/28/2017 at 1:00 PM, 720nut said:

Ok after custom hydraulic fittings I've got it up and running.

Everything on tractor is tight so I've got extra fittings to clear some things.

Ended up taking two metric bolts and drilling them and cut two fittings off and had tig welded together to make connection.

Only thing I'm concerned with is you need a lot of throttle to get pressure to turn to right, once increased it functions as it should.

Maybe I should start another thread and address this issue and find out what others have run into on their power steering swaps.

DSCN1895.JPG

The mark of a true craftsman that can adapt & overcome.

That was a great idea that many of us would never think of doing.  Very surprised those metric fittings were unobtainable.

Shaun, actually they are bolts that are drilled and machined to fit the steel tube lines that of course are no longer available.

I had it out several times it all seems good but loader isn't on yet so we'll see what happens then, Like I discussed with Bob as he has ran tractor at a low throttle when loading manure that he is going to have to get used to the higher throttle needed to get pressure needed.

I should have it back together by end of week, waiting for a switch that he wants replaced.

9 hours ago, 720nut said:

Shaun, actually they are bolts that are drilled and machined to fit the steel tube lines that of course are no longer available.

I had it out several times it all seems good but loader isn't on yet so we'll see what happens then, Like I discussed with Bob as he has ran tractor at a low throttle when loading manure that he is going to have to get used to the higher throttle needed to get pressure needed.

I should have it back together by end of week, waiting for a switch that he wants replaced.

Did you put them in your lathe to bore them straight?  3/16" hole? Are they Stainless?  Did you get them the correct length so they didn't have to be machined down?  Do I see copper washers to seal them on the valve body? & finally, did they have to be tapered to seal in the hose ends?

Sorry for all the questions Lloyd.  I just think it was a FANTASTIC idea & I'm sure there was more to it than you are letting on.

Edited by ShaunE

First yes I bored them in lathe a little larger than 3/16

No just steel , I had to cut bolts down as what I had were to long and bottomed out on valve.

Yes copper washers as Kubota used these to seal bar that blocked off hyd.

No , no taper, very simple, biggest problem was finding someone to tig them together and thankfully my friend owns a big machine shop and tig welds

I got dash and all back together and connection going to the regulator was twisted around starter wires so I untanled them and reconnected and now it don't want to charge,

Of course this is not one of my strong points so going to have to have alt. and regulator checked which means tearing dash back apart.

Anyone have an idea as to what I might have or have not done ?

Still looking for someone close with more electrical experience than me .

We're replacing front tires while I have it, painted insides of wheels as they were rusted pretty good

DSCN1910.JPG

DSCN1911.JPG