Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower deck questions

Allis312

I am looking at buying a Simplicity 3416 that does not have any attachments. However the guy said he would trade me a couple decks that can be used to make one good one for the 3416 in exchange for a good Allis Chalmers 312 mower deck that I have.

Sound like a fair trade? How much would a good 3416 deck be worth? Are these decks hard to rebuild or could I easily make one good deck out of them?

Thanks

Your 312 deck is much more rare than a deck for a 3416, and probably worth 2 GOOD Simplicity decks.  Keep in mind a deck that will work with the 3416 are much more plentiful, and used from 1974 on.  Also many pre 1974 deck parts can be used to rebuild a 1974 and newer decks.

Weather you can make 1 from 2 depends on if the same parts are bad on both or not. 

Mike is correct.  I would not do the trade as the 300 & 400 series Allis decks are very hard to come by.  The 3000 series Simplicity build decks are very easy to come by.  I think the only major difference is the top drive pulley on the center spindle being a double "type" pulley.  I'm pretty sure the guy offering the trade knows this.  FYI.

Thanks for the replies.

ShaunE, I am sure he does know this as he deals in a lot of garden tractors and has a bunch of Simplicity and AC machines. 

So I guess my question then is, how much would a good 312 deck be worth? That guy told me that the 312 deck was only worth 50 bucks or so. Seemed strange to me being that 312 decks are more rare??

Edited by Allis312

8 hours ago, Allis312 said:

Thanks for the replies.

ShaunE, I am sure he does know this as he deals in a lot of garden tractors and has a bunch of Simplicity and AC machines. 

So I guess my question then is, how much would a good 312 deck be worth? That guy told me that the 312 deck was only worth 50 bucks or so. Seemed strange to me being that 312 decks are more rare??

I don't know what it's worth because I don't have any of the 300 or 400 series Allis tractors & the guy I knew that did isn't with us anymore.  But I do know they are much harder to come by than the Simplicity built Allis tractors.

A good 42" 3400/7000 series deck is worth $150.  A 48" deck is worth more.   I don't deal with 300/400 series stuff I would guess that it is at least 50% more or $200.