Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JohnN

Trouble with 7117 mower deck

Recommended Posts

JohnN
I have a 7117 that I picked up, The proplem I have now is that I need to put bearings in the deck. It looks like the pulley is splined, and even though I can't see it I'm going to say that the shaft is splined as well. I've tried oil, heat, even the tie rod end splitter and nothing seemes to work, I've mangled one pulley and shaft (used a gear puller auth a nut between the shaft and the puller and I still messed up the shaft). I'm tempted to cut the darn things off, but the point of this is to have a tractor for cheap and cutting out of desperation doesn't save money. Does any one have any ideas, I've searched the discussion posts and haven't found a lot about my problem. Another idea I may try is to drill 2 or three holes in the pulleys and use a streering wheel puller. When I'm at my wits end with a problem, more often then not I know I can find an answer here. Thanks guys, John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NLM
John, I just recently did this to my deck. What worked for me was to drench the area with penetrating oil, then I threaded a bolt into the shaft and whacked on it with a hammer while holding the pulley. It gradually came off. While I don't know if this is the preferred method, it worked without any damage to the threads. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnN
Well I even though I didn't have any coke on hand I assumed that it was the same stuff that eats you teeth eats the rust and tried some muriatic acid. First I heated the area to burn off any oil left on the spline, and then added the acid to eat the rust. Well everything looks clean now but the pulley is still stuck. I don't do it often, but I'm going to admit defeat and take the arbors to the shop and let them press out the shafts. This is the first time I had such a rough time taking something like that apart. I'll have the mangled shaft drilled and have a heli-coil or something similar put in. I'll also put a call to Sandy Lake for the pulley and some other parts I need to pick up. Thanks for the help, I only wish the pulley cooperated with me. John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marion_Kerr
Put some heat on it with your torch. Have just plain water in a spray botttle in advance. After heating up, spray it until cool with the water. This makes the temperature change quickly and breaks the rust down. It should come off very easy after that. M. Kerr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • GregB
    • hurleyii
    • Hick
    • dhoadley
    • PhanDad
  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

    • SonOfCreepfeed

      SonOfCreepfeed

      Thinkin' about this old girl.

      · 2 replies
    • Dean McFadden

      Dean McFadden

      Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁
       

      · 1 reply
  • Adverts

×