Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Swap was a success

GardenTrACtorguy

The engine swap I have done this year when I have had time was a success!  The tractor when I bought it had a k301 that was really worn out to the point I would dump a 1/4 bottle of oil in it everytime I started it for the day.  This new engine runs like a champ!

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

That K361 is a brute equal to or more power than a M20 twin.  Just keep the head fins clean!  Did you make your head cover/shroud easily removable, for cleaning?

18 hours ago, MikeES said:

That K361 is a brute equal to or more power than a M20 twin.  Just keep the head fins clean!  Did you make your head cover/shroud easily removable, for cleaning?

Yep, all I have to do is take the spark plug lead off and it comes off.  It has been running erratic when I have full throttle and full ground speed.  The engine may be a little tuned up and the jet may be drilled, and getting too much fuel. Do you think a jet from a k301 carb would work?

Edited by GardenTrACtorguy

If original the stock carb is the biggest (throat dia) that Kohler used on the K and KT engines.  Most tractor pullers put that carb on the 14 and 16hp engines (to run higher rpms with a steel flywheel of course).   If a cast iron flywheel it would have only been modified for alcohol or ethanol blends, no benefit otherwise.

I would  play with carb tuning and points timing.  This engine is  a little fussier than the flat heads are, or maybe you can really feel/hear the difference with the right tune.

For instance I have found mine runs the best with the points set at .017 vs the recommended .020, and logically this makes looking at where the spark plug is vs. the flatheads.

Edited by MikeES