Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
svon

Broadmoor trans trouble

svon
I am having problems when shifting my older broadmoor into high range. It is the high and low that is mounted outside the rearend. It is making a grinding noise and not engaging. Can anyone help?

tej
Make sure the trans belt is coming to a full stop before trying to shift. If it is it sounds like if you can get it into one of the ranges you should leave it there - you may need to take it apart and manually engage it if everthing else is OK or switch back to a standard drive pulley and eliminate the Hi-Low option.

svon
Jeff,
I took apart the hi-low gear assemble and there appears to be a space between the drive pully and the locking collar. It looks like there might mave been a bearing there at one point in time. Is this a correct assumption? I am planning a trip to the local simplicity dealer this weekend for new belts for my other tractor, so I will see if he has an exploded view with part numbers.
Thanks for your help..
Stephen