Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Small snow thrower for 7117

Gerg

I recently purchased a 7117 tractor, it came with a 1690034 32" snow thrower with modified wings to make it as wide as the tractor.

My question is related to the long belt that was used in the modification, it seems to be very tight, I had to loosen the sheave in order to get the belt on, Note- tensioner was

released. The tensioner lever is hard to pull when tightening the belt although when engaging the PTO the thrower seems to work alright. My question is; will an overly tight belt ruin the

bevel gearbox bearings or sheave bearings? Note- the previous owner said he never had a problem.

Thanks Greg

Hi Greg, I talked to my son in law he said that the belt was very tight, it is possible that the original owner had the wrong belt. Remember to move the idler pulley so that the belt is straight not angled. Tom

Hi Tom, I did move the pulley, When I pull the tensioner lever the spring really gets stretched, it does seem to work alright, I was just wondering about the bearings. With that long of belt it probably needs to be tight. I'm also having cold weather starter problems, I think the Bendix is gummed up, That is why I asked about starter removal in an earlier post. I think I will just go with the belt the way it is. It looks like I will have to remove the engine to get to the starter but first I am going to drill a hole in the shroud and spray some cleaner on the drive.

Greg   

I would also say that a 32" blower, if a 32 and not a 36, might have different pulleys.  32" blower heads were for the older era tractors.  The driven pulley may be different in size. Also, you could adjust the othe idler pulley on the tensioner setup.  That would allow you to make an "incorrect" belt potentially work.

Edited by Brettw

Hey Greg I have never removed a starter on one of these in the tractor but I have seen decisions where people have removed the mounting bolts raised the one side and were able to remove the starter. 

There is a plate behind the swing arm on the 7117 that is colored green and red.  The fixed idler pulley is on a slide that you can adjust forward and backwards, so that where you load the swing arm the back of the arm should be in the green zone for the mower deck and just touching the front of the green zone for the thrower.

I know there are pictures some place on this site.