Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jlasater

9020 doesn't want to idle down

jlasater

My 9020 is running great...except it doesn't want to idle all the way down. It's a mechanical issue, you can reach in and pull the throttle shaft back to idle and it idles properly. Can this be caused by the long small threaded screw with the smaller of the two governor springs being set too tight? I've played with adjusting the throttle cable but that hasn't made a difference.

jlasater

Not quite sure what I was thinking. There is NO other spring on the external governor system. I have the spring "screw" adjusted as per the Onan manual (3/16" threads left at the end). Guess I'll try just running it out further (less threads). I did install an OEM Onan governor spring, so I know that is right.

fishnwiz

Is there a bracket that holds the throttle cable against the engine? Sometimes you can slide the whole cable back in the holder to lessen or increase the travel of the internal wire. Not sure if you understand what I am saying.If you have the idle stop all the way out on the carb you should be able to reduce the RPM with one or the other.

720nut

If memory serves me right there is a adjustment for the throttle cable to, I'ld have to look at the manual to see what it is

Most I've had are pretty finicky on the throttle adjustments.

jlasater

The Onan manual shows to have the throttle lever that directly pulls the governor spring touch the throttle cable bracket at full throttle. The connecting rod that goes from the governor to the throttle shaft doesn't seem to make any difference when I adjusted it longer or shorter last time I messed with it. The threaded rod that pulls on the governor spring is supposed to have 3/16" of threads sticking out past the nut which mine has, but I'll mess with that adjustment to see if I get anywhere.