Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Update to Message 6182 46" sickle bar

HTews

Hello to all, In my message I talked about making the bar for 46" sickle bar mowers. Well as of today I have made two bars and everything seems to fit fine. I have installed one bar, but have not run the unit as of yet. I moved evrything by hand and nothing seems to bind. I also have found a pan head rivet that will work. It is not like what was originally on the unit, but it will work. It is a touch longer than it needs to be. You can buy them at any John Deere Implement dealer. They are 7/32"dia. x 1/2" long. The part number is 16H475. I bought a rivet setter from MCMaster Carr to start the setting and then I finshed it by flatting the rivet with a hammer. I'm thinking of having my machinist friend make me a jig I can put in the press and set the rivet with. It's a lot of pounding and it puts a very slight bow in the bar, which doesn't really hurt anything, but I don't like it. (I am sometimes to much of a perfectionist). I have some pictures of the bar the rivets separate and a completed bar. I will try to ad them to this post but it is the first time I have ever tried it, so it may not work. For those of you that are interested in bars. I have enough material right now to make four bars. I am at this point only going to charge for material and shipping. The material is $2.50 + shipping to your zip code. I'm not sure which will be cheaper UPS or U.S. Postal service I will check in to that next week. If you are interested send me an email with quanty and address and I will confirm a shipping price and comfirm shipping costs is acceptalbe, before I make them for you. Howard