Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gerg

Mid-mount grader blade

MikeES

The mid-mount grader blade is a "must have" attachment.   Especially if you have a gravel driveway or you do any landscaping.  Once you use one you will wonder what you were doing before.

It is one attachment that I will never be without.

• Like 2

Gerg

Thanks, I will look in the classifieds. I do have a gravel driveway and parking area, most of it is small loose stuff without fines, just walking on it leaves holes. I would also use it for loose dirt that I am using to fill holes in my yard , I had good luck with a landscape rake I owned in the past but only after I built caster gauge wheels for it. With wheels in front of and behind the blade I would think it would grade level as long as it was somewhat loose.

Greg       

rich_kildow

The grader blade is amazing and would work very well for what you need.  The control with it using your feet for down pressure is very effective.  I have a 350'+ gravel driveway that I keep maintained and I order "road fill" or "shoulder gravel" as its called in this area.  It's the stuff that packs in nicely but doesn't become muddy.  Just to tell you what it can do, I had 11 yards dumped in the low spot in my driveway knowing I was going to need to move most of it around in a 75' circle or so.  I tried one scoop with my Johnny Bucket and broke the bolts attaching the bucket to the frame.  Thankfully, those were a weak link that I was able to just replace.  

I then set into the pile with the mid  mount grader set at 90 degrees.  I would drive past the pile and let the 6" or so sticking out take a cut of the pile along the whole length and by the time I traveled the length of the pile, I was nicely spilling fill out the other side.  I basically went around this pile in a spiral for about 30 minutes and had the whole thing knocked flat and compacted decently from driving on it so much.  I've moved plenty of fill in my day with tractor loaders and skid steers and I couldn't have done a better job any faster with a bigger piece of equipment.  It was one of those jobs I was dreading but the precision and size for something like this is just perfect.

Here are some pics of half way through and completed, and the tire tracks kind of give an idea of my route.  

20170521_155833.thumb.jpg.3286c27b4e90ecd0b665706a9d4b8b97.jpg20170524_171734.thumb.jpg.1353d0228504c2bd27a6ed7048d997f5.jpg

I have a bare, brand new Dutch blade that I need to get rigged up to a hitch and I think that will work well for leveling the driveway out without more fill.  I'm also interested in seeing how it will do on some of my trails that need a touch of leveling.  

• Like 1