Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

710 followed me home

johnmonkey

I picked up the AC 710 6 speed today it has a kohler 10hp model K241S (is that a good motor?) . He took $120.00 for it it came with two 48" mower decks one complete and one for parts. I gave him another $20.00 for a 716h hood (it has the old style lights that I like [the ones that bump out])and a gas cap.All in all I feel good about it, I flushed out the tank and turned it over and it starts will idle for a few seconds and shut off (no smoke). It won't idle long yet but I need to tinker with the carb (flush or rebuild) I'm not sure of the settings (how many turns for the screws)on the carb either. Any help would be appreciated. PS I will also need manuals for the engine/frame can anyone help with that also. Thanks in advance John H PSS as I was leaving the tractor shop one of the guys said to me "looks like you got the fever" and I said "yes I do!!"

Simplicity just got 4040 manuals to Tok Alaska in 5 days. Ph 262-284-8519. For the Kohler, guess you need to go to Kohler as I need to go to Onan..Congradulations on your score, one more resuced from returning to iron ore through the rust process..MPH

sound like you got a good deal. Once you catch the fever there is only one cure.....building bigger garages !!!

Hi John, the 10 hp will not probably handle the 48" deck. However, this is a very easy motor to work on. No synchro's. You have found a very good unit. We have a 7010 simplicity with the same engine. It is a great starter. I would put a 42" mower on your unit. It will be very dependable.

1 1/4 turns for idle on side of carb and 2 turns for main fuel on top of carb acarding to my Kohler owner's manual I would also drop the float bowl and check for water and junk. John

Good engine. Set both the high speed and idle jet at 1 1/2 turns out from finger tight bottom. It should run at that, warm it up and at high speed, turn in until starts to mis fire, turn out until starts to misfire, then set 1/2 way in between. Do same at about 600 rpm idle. That is what I do, whether it is correct or not but my Kohlers in my Five CUB Cadets(cuss words on this site) are all set and running at these settings..

You can download an operators manual for your Kohler from kohlerengines.com You can also order a service manual #TP-2379 on line. Or call 1-800-544-2444 I went on-line to order the service manual for my K361 (18hp). It was not listed, so I asked if it was available through the "contact us" forum. I received the manual 2 days later. Good Luck! Mike S.