Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Blind Dates

SmilinSam

Women?? No.. not hardly, something frequently more interesting, sometimes less troublesome and in many cases more dependable and usefull.........TRACTORS!!!! Most would say buying something sight unseen is a foolish venture, but I'm beginning to think otherwise. I have bought several tractors over the phone on a vague description and at least broke even. Todays venture was the frosting on the cake , so I think. Got a call today on a add that has ran for the last 4 weeks without any other calls. Seller said it was a beat old 3410, manual transmission, and had broken deck. His kids had used it as a go kart for the last year or so. It did run and he said it had a new battery. I asked him to put a price on it . He said he wanted it out of the garage and sooner the better, $25. I offered to give $50 since he had a new battery in it. This all sight unseen. Deal made. After a busy day I was tired and I almost called back to put the pick up off for a few more days, but I thought about Woodys comment about not jumping on things and losing out, so I went anyhow. So all you non-believers, what do you all suppose $50 can buy in relation to a 3410 sight unseen ???????????

Well, I ought to be slapped for almost hesitating on that machine. I was rather unexcited about a 3410, but when I got there I gradually got a little more interested. It did have the optional headlights at one time but they had been torn off, literally, from running into something. The hood was banged up real bad, the seat deck was rusted through, and the seat was torn all up. I was thinking at that moment , just another junk tractor. Also, This guy must be a Red Green fan, as the carb was wrapped up tight with duck tape to hold the welch plug in. Then the situation satrted to change. The seller started it up. Fired right up and did not smoke at all. Ran strong! Got on to drive it up on the trailer and went to raise the deck and found no lift lever...........WOW!!! It was power lift equipped, with a new switch no less! Well, that makes no sense on a 10 HP 3 speed unless you are trrying to raise a heavy tiller, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Looked behind me to see a complete newer style rear lift kit! This is getting better all the time, I thought to myself. Got it loaded and got to talking to him and he griped about its ground speed being so slow to mow with. The lights came on again!, flipped up the seat deck and found a complete low speed pulley kit for the 3400, 7000, and AC 700 series with the straight 3 speed trannies! Started taliking about the deck asked what was broke. Turns out the ilder pulley was all that was broken! I will likely go ahead and put new bearings and rollers on it and sell it. Real nice shell. The rear tires,which are like all the old B-series are in great shape for the age, one new front tire, good steering wheel, a brand new genuine "Simplicity" battery, good generator and regulator. As I was about to leave the seller said "Wait! here, take these too, they go with it." here he came out of the garage with a pair of Simplicity MFG#708 cast iron wheel wheights! This so so on the phone tractor purchase turned out to be a treasure trove of parts and optional equipment. Some of these parts will end up on Ebay, and others I have already offered to club members and waiting to hear back from. As a note from my purchasing rule book, Rule #1- always make the seller put the price on the equipment you are potentially buying. Because he will be happy with what he asks and most of the time the price is cheap enough anyhow that you will not have to do any negotiating. I'm still amazed at the purchase SmilinSam

Sam, Didn't you notice a vintage Corvette or a 57 Chevy he would throw in to fill the trailer out?? Sometimes you win when least expected. You are entirely correct when you say "let the seller set the price". I have myself given more to the seller when I know the potential of the items. Not many times but, sometimes.