Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstrand Worn Shaft

PGL

A couple of months ago I bought a DA 1920 Ultima.  The vendor told me it had leaking seals in the transmission and provided two so I'd be able to replace them.  I now have the rear end apart and have exposed the problem shaft (see pictures).

Hard to explain how the shaft could have been worn in this way.  With that shape, the shaft would work like a rotary engine and pump oil through the seal.  No wonder it leaked.  Anyway, these shafts are very expensive, quoted $1,300 Canadian through Simplicity or about $1,000 for the equivalent used in several John Deere tractors.  I have located a complete rear end for a DA 1918 and hope it is in good enough shape to transfer the hydro unit and I can swallow the high cost.  It might be less expensive to look for another tractor.  I have a tiller, mower deck and snowblower to fit.

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

PGL; you can get that shaft spray welded and turned back to stock diameter. Any competent machine shop can do it or tell you where to get it done. Won't cost any where near prices you are quoting....Good luck with repair....Dave

Not sure if the shaft is the same, but I think I have a good shaft from a Sundstrand pump from a Sovereign , 15 series.  It's yours if I have it as I think I do, and if it works, for the price of shipping.

What caused the shaft wear? Is the seal that wide? Is there a bearing or bushing in that area? Is the shaft suppose to be hardened in that area, possible induction heat treated and wasn't? Some questions to ask yourself prior to coming up with a plan to fix.

Thanks everyone.  The model type is 12 U , 90-1256 CCW   and sn 06-86  51   18236 , and therefor likely to not be compatible with yours Brett - great offer!  The Sundstrands have a reputation as almost bullet proof, so I'm worried by the same concerns Bill has but don't have good answers yet, or a hardness tester.  In any case, I told the owner of the 1918 parts (completer front and rear assemblies with transmission, wheels and tires for $200) I would buy from him, so unless that Sundstrand proves to be unusable after a two and a half drive to pick the assemblies up, I'll go that way and get a bunch of spare parts at the same time and not have to fix the old shaft or rebuild the unit.  If that doesn't work, I'll try testing and refurbishing the shaft and rebuilding the unit.  It's a weird wear pattern, sort of flattened and not all the way around as expected on a rotating item.

I did a quick Google search, found sleeves by SKF, Timken and Parker, so if the used unit doesn't work, looks like a good alternative to follow up.   Good hint.

I've used SKF Speedi-Sleeves before, but only to cover light pitting, never anything like that.  I'm not sure the sleeves would be an option unless they were long enough to completely bridge the worn area.

• 2 weeks later...

My knowledge of the sleeves is that you chuck the offending shaft in the lathe and get it true first. Then sleeve appropriately from there fitting the shaft to the size sleeve available. That's what I remember anyhow. :ph34r: