Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar!

Simplicity7013H

I got a call from a guy I know who said he had a Sunstar that he just wanted gone so of course I had to get it... I mean who would turn down a free Sunstar?? So it has been setting for 7 year outside so you can imagine the paint condition but thankfully the tank was drained and after cleaned the carb it fired right up and runs good. It has a 16hp single cylinder Magnum in it and I may swap to a 20hp. It also only has a 48"deck and I really need a 60" for our property. I plan to repaint it and get a plow and 60" deck and then use it as my main work tractor. The guy claims there was no other attachments but there is some sort of hitch on the back that I don't know what it is for p

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

• Like 2

Here's the plan for the Sunstar.... I'm taking it to school for small engines class and will be completely repainting the tractor and doing a M18 swap. I will also be redoing the brakes and installing dual brake pedals like a 20hp model would have. Eventually I want a rear PTO, 3pt, and a 60" deck. Will be updating you guys with the progress along the way.  

• Like 2

Two decks for sale near me $450/ 600 just thought I;ld let ya know , on Craigslist

forgot to mention both are 60 in.

Edited by 720nut

Great find Elliot!  Just as a thought though, if you are thinking of a restore, and with all of the things you want to do to this tractor, you may want to look at another option.  It sounds like you want a Sunstar.  And it also sounds like you have an M18 available.  You might consider cleaning this one up and selling it for what you can get for it, and keeping your eyes open for another 20 horse Sunstar with a bad engine.  There was much more to them.  They had the dual rear brakes, yes, but they also had a locking differential, a 2 speed rear end and power steering.  If I was to look at all you want to do, including rear PTO and lift, I would put all of that money and effort into the later model Sunstar.  The 16 horse was one of the first, and there were a number of good upgrades by the time they were all 20's.  A 20 with a bad engine can be had very reasonably, and you would end up with way more tractor.  Heck you might even find one with a 60" deck!   JMHO, good luck either way!

Edited by Brettw

Wow, what a deal!  Your reputation is a strong one!  

I tend to agree with Brett.  Buying the add ons is the costliest way to get into a Sunstar, and there have been some remarkable prices on nice machines the past couple years.  I would put in some elbow grease, cash that in, and then save and shop.  $1000 will get you a fantastic Sunstar these days, with all the goodies Brett mentions.  The differential lock alone is worth it's weight in gold.  That is the handiest feature I have used on a GT...more useful than power steering, in my opinion.  But of course, in a 20hp model, you would get them together!

The hitch is too wide for a SS frame and appears to be an E-Z Rake brand vacuum system hitch for another brand tractor.  

8 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

Here you go elliot!   You wont find one cheaper than this...3pt alone would cost most of what he is asking if bought on its own.  This is in your neighborhood and CHEAP.  

20hp command, power steering, diff lock/2sp, 3 point hitch, rare 2000rpm rear PTO

https://southbend.craigslist.org/grd/d/simplicity-sunstar/6411014048.html

My cousin Daniel and I are trying to work out a deal on this one and see if we can some how split the cost. He wants the 3pt and sprayer and I would take the rest. 

Here you go elliot!   You wont find one cheaper than this...3pt alone would cost most of what he is asking if bought on its own.  This is in your neighborhood and CHEAP.  

20hp command, power steering, diff lock/2sp, 3 point hitch, rare 2000rpm rear PTO

That is a deal.  

15 hours ago, Chris727 said:

That rear hitch looks like it could be for some sort of track-vac.

I texted the guy last night and he said it was for a leaf collection system. He didn't say what kind it was though. 

If you can swing the deal Elliot, do it.  If you do all of things, and put all of the effort into the Craig's list tractor that you were going to put into the old 16 horse, you will end up with a pure bred Percheron, compared to a worn out three legged pack mule.  Plus, you would spend mucho dinero to get the three point, the dual brake setup, the ags, etc.  You should be able to get $3-400 easy for the cleaned up pack mule (less deck) and if you sell the M18 you were thinking of using too, you are golden.  Put that money into the Percheron, sell the sprayer for a hundred bux, keep your eyes open for a 60" deck (sell the 48 for 250-300 ish when you get the 60) and you are dancing with the Big Dogs.  The 20 horse Sunstars (all of them really) were built like a tank.  They were the Legacy predecessor.  I restored two of them and was amazed at how heavy duty they were.  My 1 acre wasn't big enough to justify keeping them, otherwise they never would have left.   It sound like I'm scamming you, but in the long run, I will bet you have less money in the Percheron  than if you put lipstick on the pack mule, when all of the horse tradin' (pun intended, sorta) is done and the dust has settled.  Good luck young man, whatever you choose to do!  You have certainly shown your maturity and skills over the past few years, as you have embraced this hobby. It's been fun to watch you and your fleet grow!  dOd

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 1

As mentioned by others, I would also keep my eye open for a tractor equipped with the options you want. They are out there. I bought a sun star last year. It has the 20 horse magnum, differential lock, power steering, rear 2000 rpm pto, 3 point hitch, dual hydraulics , 26" rear tires, and it came with a 60" deck. It even still has the chrome hub caps. I bought it for $400.00. I had to put 1 connecting rod and a set of rings in it. It runs like a top, everything works and I still don't have much of a total investment into it.

On 12/7/2017 at 12:32 PM, Simplicity7013H said:

Here you go elliot!   You wont find one cheaper than this...3pt alone would cost most of what he is asking if bought on its own.  This is in your neighborhood and CHEAP.  20hp command, power steering, diff lock/2sp, 3 point hitch, rare 2000rpm rear PTO

My cousin Daniel and I are trying to work out a deal on this one and see if we can some how split the cost. He wants the 3pt and sprayer and I would take the rest. 

This posting has been deleted by its author.

Elliott: You & Daniel score? 

I've seen a few cheap like that but there always so far away.

While were on the subject what's the difference between a Sunstar deck and a Legacy? I thought they were the same but several say no.

So either there's something wrong as a guy from Illinois was going to look at was sure he'ld buy or he decided not to sell ????? we may never know, I wouldn't even consider at that price.