Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar hydro fan

Simplicity7013H

Hi all, I removed the mower deck from my sunstar and was inspecting the underside and discovered that the hydro cooling fan has no blades remaining. I found it on the IPL and the part number is 1701912SM and it appears to be discontinued. If anyone know of a cross reference for these fans like maybe on a John Deere or something I would really appreciate it. 

Edited by Simplicity7013H

Not sure Elliott but it may be the same as on a Legacy?

Someone with more knowledge than me may know for sure, I'm still learning on these newer tractors

Okay thank you!  That's good to at least have something to go by.  Its beyond me as to how every last blade was broken off.  I may have to end up and build a custom metal fan or make a fan from a 90's Landlord or Broadmoor work as I can still get those for just over $6 new from Simplicity.

Elliott; that ePay listing is only from Nov. 15th. It is the right part # and they probably still have it. Only $10 for the right part. Look at the pictures. It is NOS and not broken.....Dave

Edited by B10Dave

42 minutes ago, B10Dave said:

Elliott; that ePay listing is only from Nov. 15th. It is the right part # and they probably still have it. Only $10 for the right part. Look at the pictures. It is NOS and not broken.....Dave

I will send them a message and see if they still have it. I didn't realize the date on it but thanks for pointing that out Dave! dOd 

@SimpleOrange

Thank you but that isn't the fan I'm needing... Actually that is the one that's still available from Simplicity for $6.

Edited by Simplicity7013H

Not all Sunstars were equipped with a fan.  It may not be an extremely critical item.  IIRC, the higher horsepower Sunstars were the ones that did not have a fan.

I have seen a 14hp Sunstar that did not have the hydraulic radiator, I suppose because it did not have power steering and I don't remember a hydraulic lift.  So they maybe they were cooled with the fan on the Sundstrand.  Many JD with the same transaxle  also did not have a radiator, but they did have the fan on the Sundstrand.

So if it is my tractor...if it has a hydraulic cooler/radiator then I wouldn't worry about the fan on the hydrostat, but if it didn't have the radiator, I would make sure that it has a good working fan on the hydro and it is kept clean.

Edited by MikeES

2 hours ago, MikeES said:

I have seen a 14hp Sunstar that did not have the hydraulic radiator, I suppose because it did not have power steering and I don't remember a hydraulic lift.  So they maybe they were cooled with the fan on the Sundstrand.  Many JD with the same transaxle  also did not have a radiator, but they did have the fan on the Sundstrand.

So if it is my tractor...if it has a hydraulic cooler/radiator then I wouldn't worry about the fan on the hydrostat, but if it didn't have the radiator, I would make sure that it has a good working fan on the hydro and it is kept clean.

Sadly its not a power steering tractor so it doesn't have the hydraulic radiator. It seems like this was a pretty base model machine. Just wonder if it would even be worth it to build it up into a "higher end" model.