Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 Battery Drain Issue

mcd

I used my 7117 all year with no issues whatsoever. Recently anytime I have gone to move it the battery is almost completely dead. It will start right up with jumper cables but once I turn it off it needs to be jumped again. Any idea why this would be happening? 

If you're lucky, dirty cable connectors somewhere, most likely at the battery posts.  Or the engine charging system isn't working.  Check the voltage at the battery, with the engine at 3/4 or more throttle, the voltage reading should be 14.5 to 14.9 volts.  If it is, the charging system is good.

If those aren't the issue, the battery is shot.  Once you start the engine, the charging system will keep the engine running, but won't charge the battery.  When you shut it down, the battery's still shot.

On my 716H, the fuse holder was corroded and fell apart in my hand. The previous owner said he had to charge the battery every couple of times he mowed the lawn. A $5 fuse holder and I haven't had to charge the battery since.

5 hours ago, PhanDad said:

If you're lucky, dirty cable connectors somewhere, most likely at the battery posts.  Or the engine charging system isn't working.  Check the voltage at the battery, with the engine at 3/4 or more throttle, the voltage reading should be 14.5 to 14.9 volts.  If it is, the charging system is good.

If those aren't the issue, the battery is shot.  Once you start the engine, the charging system will keep the engine running, but won't charge the battery.  When you shut it down, the battery's still shot.

Thanks I'll try this out tomorrow

2 hours ago, jlasater said:

On my 716H, the fuse holder was corroded and fell apart in my hand. The previous owner said he had to charge the battery every couple of times he mowed the lawn. A $5 fuse holder and I haven't had to charge the battery since.

I will take a look at this tomorrow. Thank you!

On 12/5/2017 at 6:46 PM, PhanDad said:

I jumped the tractor and turned it on. Hooked up the voltmeter and it was at around 12.5v. Based on your previous comment this would indicate a faulty charging system. What does this mean exactly? What would I need to replace?

2 hours ago, RayS said:

I would do these test next. Also at the Kohler site you can download the whole repair manual for free.

regstator.jpg

What manual is this image from? Would you mind sharing the PDF? I tried to find the Kohler KT17 manual on their site but no luck. I found one on Google but it didn't have the part that you linked above. I'd like to see these figures they're referencing so I know exactly what to do to test it.