Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Where to start

Tom Batts

I have just pulled a b 110 out of my Dad barn . It has been sitting there for 15 years or so without being used. The engine had been taken out of it so it has been sort of a mess to figure out . I have the engine running and it sounds really good. I was able to drive it for the first time and everything was going fine untill I heard gears making noise .I blocked it up and put it in gear to see if I could figure out where the noise was comming from . I am not sure if the problem is in the BGB or the transmission.

I need to determine if I should keep working on it or if it is a lost cause. The seat pan is rusting through,the steering is extremely sloppy , it is leaking around the axle seals and under the transmission and all of the tires are shot. It does have the cultivator , the disc and a bottom plow. 

What I really would like to have is a unit with a loader ,hydro , and power steering but I don't even know what to keep an eye out for or what to do with this one .

This is a lot of information but any suggestions would be appreciated. I really like these old machines.

I can totally understand the emotional connection since it belonged to your dad. So if you really want to keep this one I would say keep an eye out for similar models and buy them as cheaply as you can and rob the parts you need to rebuild your dads tractor. Just be patient they are out there. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. It would be nice to keep just because it was my Dad's. I am just starting to see what is avaliable around here. 

Watch for Simplicity tractors that share the same parts.  Not sure how common tractors are around you, but it's hard to put a price on sentimental value.  If it were me I would keep digging into the problem.  There are a lot of knowledgable people on here I imagine will chime in too.  

When do you hear the grinding noise?  All the time? Only when the trans is in gear? When the PTO is engaged?

you could remove all of the belts from the gear box so the engine is only running the gear box and see if you still have the noise when it is running. if the noise is still there then it is in the gear box. if no noise then i would say it is in the transmission.

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome. I will start looking for parts since I know I am missing some parts . The noise is present only when the transmission is in gear . I will remove all of the belts and see how it acts .

Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for your reply. It would be nice to keep just because it was my Dad's. I am just starting to see what is avaliable around here. 

15 hours ago, 720nut said:

I just sold three B 110's and still have a few parts lying around

Lloyd, I'm glad to hear you could move some along. Hope you got a good price for them. dOd

Edited by dhoadley

1 hour ago, dhoadley said:

Lloyd, I'm glad to hear you could move some along. Hope you got a good price for them. dOd

Basicly close to what I paid for them just to get rid of them