Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Talntedmrgreen

East Side XL - Diesel

Talntedmrgreen

Been a rough week or three, and my birthday is tomorrow, so I figured my bride wouldnt oppose me taking a half day off work to make a quick run to Detroit and upgrade my Legacy XL.  

I have had the kawasaki powered XL for a few years now, and LOVE that machine. Im invested in too many attachments to walk away now, and finally caved in this past summer and began using it as my regular mower as well. 

I wasnt really shopping, but was urged by a friend tonlook into a bargain priced XL in detroit.  So, for half the hours and an upgrade to diesel, I bit the bullet. Now to find a new home for my gasser.  I fear I will miss its quiet and smoothness. Theres been nothing else quite like it for me. 

Impossibly to tell them apart!

31305CE6-E0AB-4A17-B3EF-E34B80E923A6.jpeg

C00D162E-505D-4956-8F15-1AD7A92C3F3F.jpeg

BC7A7CD8-E446-465C-BEA9-207395FAF41C.jpeg

6885C478-18AD-469F-B2F2-5E98C82353DE.jpeg

• Like 2

Chris727

Yeah I had a LC Kawasaki in a JD 345. It was a sweet running engine and made tons of power. Sold it because the mower was more of an investment project than something to keep. I like the simplicity of an air cooled engine with no thermostats or water pumps to fail but have been tempted by these legacy models. Maybe someday. 

Talntedmrgreen

Snow wont quit, and i finally had a chance to dog out the blower, blade and broom.  The ol diesel chugs along pretty nice with the 60” Sweepster. 

7E8DC5CC-48A0-4C28-AD30-0376674D6E74.jpeg

And...new shoes as a home coming present. 👍 

My front tires needed replaced on the old XL so I swapped them to the new tractor to help justify some R4’s.  Should work nice with the loader.   Now to find time to mount them  

19991735-82AA-47E0-9A01-F347C4199638.jpeg

bowhunt4life
On 12/12/2017 at 2:49 PM, B112_son said:

Bowhunt, do you have a 60” deck.  I’ve got a 54” on my XL and been wanting to trade to upgrade to a 60”.

I do not. I have a 54" deck and am looking for a spare.

Talntedmrgreen

Sure wish I would’ve known that sooner Ken ;-) The old Legacy left on Saturday. I never even had a chance to list it for sale. I had a few people inquire about it and when I told him what I needed for it I had two guys who said they would take it. I made them arm wrestle.

Talntedmrgreen

Well, these R4 tires were a real battle on the HF mini tire changer.  I was able to swap the rear tires, but I didn't even attempt the low profile 10" fronts.  In fact, I was turned away by 2 auto shops, and finally goofed around with a 3rd for 2 days before getting them mounted up.  I had to find a spot to bolt down my tire changer, and decided on the back porch.  Of course, with all our recent snow, this gave me the opportunity to dig out the grill and cook up a pork loin.  :D

diesel xl5.jpeg

diesel xl4.jpeg

diesel xl6.jpeg

The new shoes are now on though!  I'm hoping to notice a dramatic increase in control up front when in 4x4 in the snow.  It was light years ahead of my 2WD Legacys, but I could still push that front end more than I think it shoulda.  The old turfs were nearly smooth bald.  I'm hoping these harder tires also help with the weight of the loader, and the rears are less aggressive than my old Firestone's for the turf.  

diesel xl.jpeg

diesel xl2.jpeg

diesel xl3.jpeg

maxwood

Hello, I have the R-4s tires on my Massey GC1705  they don't tear up the grass  like an AG tire  . I have not used it for snow duty yet 

Have heard mixed reviews on the R-4s about use in the winter

I use the sovereigns with plow and Snowblower 

Thanks Ken in Mi

Talntedmrgreen
6 minutes ago, maxwood said:

Hello, I have the R-4s tires on my Massey GC1705  they don't tear up the grass  like an AG tire  . I have not used it for snow duty yet 

Have heard mixed reviews on the R-4s about use in the winter

I use the sovereigns with plow and Snowblower 

Thanks Ken in Mi

Great feedback, thanks Ken!  I used turfs only when I first got my XL, and then this past week a bit when prepping it for sale.  It still would go anywhere and push snow in 4x4, so I would imagine the R4s are only an improvement over turfs.  I have never run chains on the 4x4 tractors.  It's amazing what that front axle brings to the table, even when pushing snow uphill.

maxwood

Yeah, I like the 3 cyl diesel, power steering, easy driving 4X4 and even the seat belt   I wish my driveway was longer it only takes me 20 min to plow or blow .

Thanks Ken in Mi

720nut
8 minutes ago, maxwood said:

Yeah, I like the 3 cyl diesel, power steering, easy driving 4X4 and even the seat belt   I wish my driveway was longer it only takes me 20 min to plow or blow .

Thanks Ken in Mi

Ya got lots of neighbors 666

Talntedmrgreen
46 minutes ago, maxwood said:

Thanks Ken in Mi

That is a problem I struggle with too.  I love playing in the snow.  Put 4 hours on the new diesel already! 👌

goodtimo
On 12/20/2017 at 2:53 PM, Talntedmrgreen said:

Well, these R4 tires were a real battle on the HF mini tire changer.  I was able to swap the rear tires, but I didn't even attempt the low profile 10" fronts.  In fact, I was turned away by 2 auto shops, and finally goofed around with a 3rd for 2 days before getting them mounted up.  I had to find a spot to bolt down my tire changer, and decided on the back porch.  Of course, with all our recent snow, this gave me the opportunity to dig out the grill and cook up a pork loin.  :D

diesel xl5.jpeg

diesel xl4.jpeg

diesel xl6.jpeg

The new shoes are now on though!  I'm hoping to notice a dramatic increase in control up front when in 4x4 in the snow.  It was light years ahead of my 2WD Legacys, but I could still push that front end more than I think it shoulda.  The old turfs were nearly smooth bald.  I'm hoping these harder tires also help with the weight of the loader, and the rears are less aggressive than my old Firestone's for the turf.  

diesel xl.jpeg

diesel xl2.jpeg

diesel xl3.jpeg

What brand of 3 point hitch weight bracket is that?

Talntedmrgreen

That is a Heavy Hitch.  I got it years ago as a freebie actually, when they were trying to drum up reviews through another tractor forum. 

Its a great tool and except when mowing (and bagging) grass in the summer, it is always on my tractor. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Mach1martysr
    • bud119195
    • BLT
    • AdamS
    • simplewrench
  • Today's Birthdays

1. B12_Jerry
      B12_Jerry
      (29 years old)
    2. Racebannon2002
      Racebannon2002
      (49 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

• Paul M.Murphy

Paul M.Murphy

Hello glad I got on this site. I hope to upload a couple of photos of my Simplicity Broadmoor 
      Model 707 Tractor. I have replaced all the belts on it and installed a new ignition switch.
      Have a mower deck which was in poor shape , repaced a couple of bushings and welded the
      deck where there was some holes. The tractor and mower deck came from a friend and the 
      mower deck metal was getting pretty thin. Some new metal was put in it and we also undercoated the underside of the deck. This was done by my friend Greg Toulman.
      I have not put the mower deck on the tractor yet, waiting for Greg to come home and give me a hand. Can you please tell me if there is a manual for the mower deck and where I could get one.
      I would also like to get some moon wheel discs as well.
      I will try and down load some photos of the tractor when my wife shows me how to. 
      I really love driving this tractor and also how well it is made compare today's tractors, especially the flexible rear end and the rollers.
      Tell the next time 
      Paul

· 8 replies
    • jbrooks

jbrooks  »  Talntedmrgreen

Josh

folowing  this from a link at the downloads.  I just rescued an AC 920 with the lambodini diesel. I can' t download  yet .  Where did you find the PDF copy you posted. . I would like to figure out how to adjust the injection pump. 
      I assume it's a bosche, correct
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts