Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

RBT repower with Fuel Injected Kohler ???

victorsnc

My winter project is the repower of an Allis 918 (Sovereign 18) - and I am sticking with Kohler.

I could go with the old-standard Kohler CH-18 spec 62638 (now PACH621-3013) at approximately $1650.

However, I see that an EFI Kohler - like the ECH630-spec 3007 can be had for $150 less.  

Has anyone tried putting an EFI Kohler into a large frame RBT?

Some of the feedback received on zero turns sold at work with Kohler EFI's was that they seemed lower on HP than carbureted equivalents. 

3 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Some of the feedback received on zero turns sold at work with Kohler EFI's was that they seemed lower on HP than carbureted equivalents. 

Fuel milage was reported to be much improved.  I was a teck in a L&G shop when the FI was introduced.  The Kohler rep said the engines ran much leaner that the carb version yet had the "same power".  The FI was doing a good job of fuel management.   I had no personal experience with the FI engines so can't really comment on "power".

We had carb Kohlers in our mowers and when replaced they gave us EFI engines.

First off they seem easier on fuel, definitely start much better especially in cold weather, I'ld say much easier maintanence. Just my $.02

Should say to a lot easier on plugs, I was replacing plugs in carb engines quite freqeuntly and have yet to in the EFI engines.

Edited by 720nut

On 12/14/2017 at 8:49 PM, Bill725 said:

You will have to find a place to mount the ECM.

So ... there is an Engine Control Module separate from the engine?  And this ECM is probably sold separate from the Kohler ECH630 replacement engine?

I was told by a guy I purchased my 2nd Sovereign from, he put a FI Command in a Sovereign and had to mount the ECU to side ( I think the LH side under the lift lever). He also told me the ECU was made by Fiat.