Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B 110 differential

Tom Batts

20171215_103141.thumb.jpg.e35a9869a91577c4b5702c3e09b5b1e5.jpgI don't understand what I have here. I was trying to unlock the differential and checked the operators manual for directions. I don't see any way to adjust it. 

Also when I pulled the right tire off it felt like it was full of concrete!  I am pretty sure it is not filled with liquid. The left tire felt normal. 

Any help? 

Thanks 

20171215_103131.jpg

If it is truly locked, there really is no adjustment.  If someone took it apart, and put washers, springs, gears in the incorrect position it will lock the diff up.  Pullers do that on purpose.  RHubbard had a few posts on doing that very thing.

Here's one post of many when I seached on removing differential, it has a link to the service manual, section 8 for the diff info.

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/50459-2012-differential-problem/?tab=comments#comment-119142

I searched the site for information on the differential but didn't come up with what you sent. Thank you so much for the information. I must have a different differential than the origianal since I don't see any sign of a place for the adjustment nuts but the little bit that I have driven it seems like the differential is locked.

Again thank you for the time you spent to reply. I don't know what I would do without some assistance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Batts said:

I must have a different differential than the origianal since I don't see any sign of a place for the adjustment nuts but the little bit that I have driven it seems like the differential is locked.

I'd say you don't have an original based on the typical "Simplicity Parts Sticker" that's still partly there on the hub.

Maybe the old style differentials were "locked" and used the slipping hub for differential action.  When the hub was replaced, the matching slipping differential wasn't installed.

Hopefully someone more experienced than I will chime in.

That appears to be a newer style hub without the traction control bolts. I'm not sure what happens when you put a newer hub in an older diff. Not sure if you even can without changing the inner axle shaft.

Your only option I think is to take it apart to see whats going on in there. A diff to match that hub will have springs inside. A diff original to that tractor will not.

I noticed that also, that you have a short shaft steel hub.  Original was a short shaft cast hub with adjustment screws.  It looks to be an OEM or someone machined a long shaft hub to match the cast hub.

If your differential is locked...means that it was assembled wrong. 

There is a manual on this site (Large Frame Tractors) under downloads, but I don't know how to direct you to the link.

Thanks for the input. I am not sure that I want to take it apart to check further into it. I need to check everything else out before I spend too much time and money. It looks like the clutch pulley is completely worn out. That may be where the noise has been coming from. 

Thanks 

Typically a locked differential does NOT mean that something is broke, and you will need parts for.   The differential is quite simple when you see the diagram and the light goes on that you figured out how it works, pretty simple.

I see the bolts that hold the differential on to the inner hub are on backwards (not uncommon), which means when you pull the bolts you may loose the orientation of the spider gears (if yours is locked up they are already disoriented).  When you reassemble put the bolts through in the other direction with the nuts on the inner hub.  That way you can assemble the whole diff on the bench and then install the completed assembly on the axle.

The most common mistake is people put the axle sun gear and washers on in the wrong order, jamming up the whole planetary and locking it up.  As for doing this on purpose with a pulling tractor - I don't think it is a good idea.  It does not allow for as easy of steering, and also causes less tooth engagement than what there should be.  I just worked on a 7100 series that someone has stuck an old B series diff on.  It had no springs, so it wasn't the limited slip style that a 7100 should have had.  The person that swapped it had the axle sun gear installed the wrong way and it was missing the washer, allowing the sun gear to move too far into the planetary and jammed up the planet/pinion gears.

This is very helpful information .I think I will check the instructions and take a look inside the differential .I haven't done this sort of thing much  but I am pretty good at following directions. I have a friend that is very good mechanically and I am sure he can help if I get into trouble.

• 1 month later...

The older differentials used a adjustment bolts to create friction between the tube axle and the solid axle, thus creating a pseudo limited slip.  The later tractors (starting in the early 70s) used springs on the same shaft/bushing of the planetary gears, thus causing friction to create the limited slip.

Keep in mind when both back wheels are moving at the same speed there is no movement happening in the differential.

BTW as a tractor puller we pulled the springs out of our differentials on our pulling tractors and put in the spacers from the older diffs, this  holds the planetary gears solid in position, the springs could allow the gears to move and not fully in engage in the sun gear. we did this to make the differential much more bullet proof.

We never had the "one wheel wonder" syndrome like many of the Cubs.  Also you can tell when someone showed up with a locked diff, you can tell right away because they can't turn the tractor and on the track they typically ran out of bounds and were disqualified.   It is rare to have a track that provides equal traction to both back tires including black top/concrete pulls.

Edited by MikeES

Thanks for all of your help. I believe my tractor must have the newer differential without the springs and it has  spacers. I have been fighting this  thing for days and have followed the drawings on alternating spacers on top and gears on bottom. I don't have the old style differential with the adjustment bolts and the differential is locked. I think you may have solved my problem!

I guess I need to either get the older style with the adjustment or the springs. 

The inner sun gear and washers could be installed wrong, locking up the diff.  Or an improper combination of early and late parts was used, again causing alignment problems and locking up the diff.