Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 steering question

jverhaag

Quick question. The steering on my 4041 has a lot of play. As you are driving the wheels jerk to one side or the other. I would like to correct this as it annoys me. Is this a result of a worn steering box. What has been everyone’s experience with the steering assembly. Thanks. 

There are probably a couple things going on.  First, your steering box is probably wore.  I have read that this can be tightened up & there is some write-ups on it here by tightening a bolt on the the box itself.  If I remember correctly though, by doing this, it is a temporary fix & will create more wear down the road.  What helped mine was I had lot's of play in my front axle.  According to the IPL, there are thrust washers that shim the front axle to reduce this side to side pivoting.  I have only had three of these axles off these machines before but in those three, I have NEVER found a single thrust washer but I have added them & it makes a big difference.  Those part numbers are NLA but I use bronze thrust washers ranging from 1/16" - 1/8" in thickness.

Also check the bushings and the bearings in the steering assembly. Mine jerked pretty good to the left when I first bought it. I was able to correct it a lot. 

Thanks for replying guys

where do the thrush washers go? I’m having trouble visilizing the placement. 

Are the bushing/bearings skill available? Are there aftermarket options? 

I have a small machine shop here at home so I built all the bushings I have needed.

Also on the back side of the axle I added 3/16 thick block on each side to contact the frame, stops all movement except for the pivot. Just my $.02

I like that idea 720. I pulled the engine this morning to address the oil leak and I will go after the steering issue while it’s out. I know I could have checked it in the tractor but I’m fighting a charging issue and a slow starter as well and decided to just yank it and address everything at once. No rest for the wicked :) 

Are you going to repair the original charging sytem or add a external alt, I've done this to a couple of mine and ends the charging problems.

I know I commented on another thread about your oil leak curious as to what you found

Here's pictures of my 620 external alternator build

DSCN1236.JPG

DSCN1237.JPG

DSCN1254.JPG

DSCN1255.JPG

DSCN1251.JPG

DSCN1252.JPG

Edited by 720nut

Dude you rock. I have looked a long time for clear, close up pictures of how other have mounted an alternator on these tractors. I thought I had seen something like this before but couldn’t find them. Those pictures were worth my yearly dues right there. 

Okay backing up: I have not determined where the oil leak is yet. I got her pulled and on the bench and that all the time I had. I’ll get into it tomorrow (if nothing comes up). I suspect it is the mount itself though. That makes perfect sense. I’ll clean it up and go from there.

i was initially going to check for a short in the charging circuit from the stator forward. However after pricing a new stator and your pictures (can’t tell you how happy that makes me) I am inclined to just install an alternator and be done with it. I have the same issue on both tractors. I have huge marine batteries on board and just keep them charged. But I have been left dead in the field a few times. 

Questions: what size sheave did you use on the front of the engine. How long is the stand off spacer between the new sheave and the original. Did you have to find a new bolt for the center? How long, size? Belt length? Is the alternator a 20 amp. And last for now how is the alternator tensioner rod connected to the tractor. I can’t see the bottom connection point.  

Bonus: The “stack” is another upcoming project. Did you go through the hood or along the side? 

Again thank you. You saved me a tremendous amount of “engineering” work, time and blood. :)