Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

40 year preventive maintenance

thmsdoyle

Since the arrival of the 78 baron 7014 a month ago a lot has been achieved. However there is still a lot to be done. It is running quite well however I have a slight sputter at full throttle, it happens maybe every 30 seconds to a minute. Its not bad but I know it shouldn't be there, so maybe a float adjustment well help?  Found the belt guards for the mower deck, repaired a few stripped out holes and have them mounted. Found 40 years of bad repairs that have been repaired to original design. Replaced the 40 year old oil in bevel gearbox (actually it didn't look to bad), transmission (this looked like 40 year old oil), and packed the planetary gear with grease. Reverse is now not as noisy as it was. Toying with the idea of painting the hood and the seat deck, however haven't committed to that idea at all at this time. 

I have to say it is bringing back a lot of memories of working with my Dad on our 3410 as a kid, while driving it a tend to reminisce of the old days 47 years ago as a  young teenager. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas, be safe in your travels if your traveling, most of all enjoy the ones close to you.

Cheers

Tom

• Like 1

Tom, I enjoyed reading that. I love old stuff. It brings back memories or has me ponder about who used to own it. I wonder where has it been for the last how-many-years...

Merry Christmas to all.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well! Sounds like you have it in good condition now, enjoy it and the memories it evokes, can't beat that.