Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck Covers

seoulski

I was wondering about everyone's opinions on mowing with deck covers. I leave mine off.

They sure look pretty but seem to catch a lot of debris.  Better on or off?

I usually run without the full deck covers.

IMO, if the deck doesn't get wet, running with the full covers on is OK unless your constantly cut wet or "juicy" grass.   I've taken many full deck covers off to find the top packed with grass and lots of rust underneath.  A quick way to rust out a deck shell.

Best are the outer arbor covers like on the old AC 300/400/Homelite decks and current Simplicity decks - easy to blow off and safer.   A pic of an old AC 300/400 deck:

IMG_5586.thumb.jpg.8402051a9c7e79f74bdeb86b7965727d.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
added pic

I leave the covers on. I lost a finger nail to the belt on a drill press when I was a kid. when ever I have the covers off I paint the metal with drain oil.

This is very interesting... When I bought my first Simplicity I was told to leave the covers off for the obvious reasons. grass dirt muck etc,,,,collecting underneath

I have taken covers off decks that were packed full of above mentioned junk

Edited by seoulski

On.  I don't mow wet or dew covered grass.  

Pull them off every spring, blow out the grass, pressure wash the entire deck & blades, spray the bottom with E-Z Slide, grease zerks if present, sharpen & balance blades, re-asseble & run what I brung.

Edited by ShaunE
  • Like 1

The reason I leave them on the FDT's and Broadmoors is for safety. Your feet almost rest right on the deck by the belt whizzing on by. 

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 2

Spinning belts on RBT's are a hazard and should be covered. I fill the cracks and gaps with a little clear bathroom caulk and it keeps almost all of the junk out. Only a little dry dust get trhu and it doesn't cause corrosion. Then I remove them and clean every couple of years.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, TomSchmit said:

Spinning belts on RBT's are a hazard and should be covered. I fill the cracks and gaps with a little clear bathroom caulk and it keeps almost all of the junk out. Only a little dry dust get trhu and it doesn't cause corrosion. Then I remove them and clean every couple of years.

dOddOd