Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tom Batts

B110 steering parts

Tom Batts

I am looking for parts for the steering column on my B110. It looks like there is a bushing under the steering wheel that sets on the sheet metal. Mine just flops around in the hole in the sheet metal. Is that something that is available or is there a good way to fix it ?

thanks

gwiseman

Tom, its available last I looked but the price was somewhere in the $60 area wah. I or someone here may have a good used one or a NOS for a bit less. I have seen some repairs but not sure the effectiveness as this part is a brass bushing with molded rubber cutter to fit in the steering rod hole in the dash, a wire clip under to hold it in place and a lock collar above. I'll get a pic of the parts page later to see what you are in need 

• Like 1

steve-wis

I made my own out of delrin plastic and it is working and wearing just fine.  No brass bushing, just the plastic.  I made it a free fit on the shaft and just so it pushes in hard into the sheet metal.I also made a stainless steel sleeve that goes over the steering shaft and is between the steering wheel and the delrin.  Here is a pic of the one I made for a 616 Simplicity.  If you have access to a lathe these are easy to make, if you went to a shop they might cost you almost as much as the original.

Steve

steering bushing.JPG

• Like 1

Tom Batts

Thank you both for the reply. Someone I spoke with said the bushings arrangement was made for only one year and there was not a drawing  in the manual?? There is a rubber piece still on the shaft that looks like it has teeth like a gear. I didn't understand that design. 

• Like 1

TomSchmit

This is a simple bronze bushing inside of a neoprene sleeve. It has that gear-like toothed shape to be very pliable. It is common on many old Simplicities. Many of the common old small frame tractors (Broadmoor 728, etc.) used them so they are easy to come by. But the cost more than $60 new (part number 2157077). I have a few in my box and could probably be convinced to part with one for less than $60!

Some of the later large frame tractors had different steering shaft bushings, which I don't know anything more about. But I think the large frame tractors like yours used the same size steering shafts. 3/4" copper water pipe is a perfect fit over the shaft (thick wall copper pipe fits better than the thin wall version!). So it is easy to make a custom shaft  bushing with wood or rubber stopper or even caulk using a copper pipe segment. All depends on how fussy you are and what you need to fix!

Tom

• Like 2

Tom Batts

Wow! What a fix! I think I will try frabicate something from your description. I need to get something completed since I keep waiting for parts to come in and don't want to dismantle everything at once. Putting everything together at once on my first project makes me uneasy. 

Thank you and everyone for helping out so much. It is a pleasure to deal with you. 

• Like 1